JLawLoeb

Default spoolsv.exe conflict??? BOGGLING MY MIND!

I've researched and researched this problem and have found others who are
experiencing the same problem, but never a fix. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

There seems to be a conflict with Microsoft Word and the spoolsv.exe process
or perhaps it has something to do with using the Brother HL-1440 driver (I
read about this conflict he

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/... 10+seconds%22

The problem is this:

When I'm working in MS Word, every 10 seconds or so an hourglass appears and
I can not type. I checked the processes manager in the Windows Task Manager
and each time I get the hour glass, there is a spike in CPU usage from
spoolsv.exe. I ended the "spoolsv.exe" process and the problem stopped.
Unfortunately, if I close and re-open MS Word the process starts again and
the problem continues.

One thing that I've noticed in my research about this issue is that no one
else has mentioned that each time the hourglass appears there is a "toolbar"
that appears in the upper left hand corner of the document which shows the
document layout icons (Normal View, Web Layout View, Print View, Outline
View) and a small vertical scroll bar handle that I can't click on or even
capture in a screen capture (it just doesn't show up - I tried a bunch of
times.)

I've used Spybot, AdAware and Symantec anti-virus and my system is virus,
spyware, adware, worm, malware, etc. free.

I've played with all settings I could think of/research in Word itself
including autosave, indexing, spell & grammar check, etc. and nothing worked.

I've even tried changing the normal.dot file to normal.old -- which I
thought fixed the problem, but when I restarted MS Word the problem came back.

This problem is extremely annoying - I can't get any work done becuase I've
become obsessed with fixing this glitch! Any help would be greatly
appreciated. I'm going to keep researching until I come up with a fix for it
so if I come up with anything, I'll post it back on this site, too.

Much obliged!

(Oh, and one more thing: I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think that
this problem only recently started within the last 2 weeks or so - I'm not
sure what configuring I've done of my computer - I don't think anything too
major, but it's almost definitely a new issue)

(My system is HP 514n [which I'm not very fond of] with a 2.2 Mhz processor
and 512 MB Ram running Windows XP)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!