Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry

Default Need for clearer term to describe an existing, saved document

What is the correct term for a Word document that has already been
saved, that has a name and a path, as compared with an unsaved document?

Simply calling such a document a "saved" document is not the answer, as
"saved" can mean either a saved document in which the latest changes
have been saved, or it can mean a document that has a name and a path,
that has unsaved changes.

Similary, an "unsaved document" can mean a document that has never been
saved and has no name and path, or it can mean a document that has been
saved, but that has unsaved changes in it.

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

or it can mean a document that has a name and a path, that has unsaved
changes.

Open such a document. Make a minor change and then run this code.

Sub Test()
If ActiveDocument.Saved = True Then
MsgBox "Larry's statement is confirmed"
Else
MsgBox "Saved is not a VBA condition that applies to a" _
& " named document with unsaved changes."
End If
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry

Thanks. Good answer. "Named document" versus "unnamed document" is the
unambiguous terminology I was looking for.

However, while it's true that "Saved" is not a VBA condition for a named
document with unsaved changes, when we have an unnamed document and want
to name it, we "save" it.

Larry

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
or it can mean a document that has a name and a path, that has

unsaved
changes.

Open such a document. Make a minor change and then run this code.

Sub Test()
If ActiveDocument.Saved = True Then
MsgBox "Larry's statement is confirmed"
Else
MsgBox "Saved is not a VBA condition that applies to a" _
& " named document with unsaved changes."
End If
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Larry,

Actually we "Save As"

So, I would say we have:

A named document is a "Saved As" document

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry

This is true, but nobody says that. No one says, "check to see if the
document is a saved-as document or an unsaved-as document." So the
question is, what are the terms that Word experts use among themselves.

ups.com...