Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
wendy christensen wendy christensen is offline

Default Merge Excel to Word, preserving "text" field formatting(italics)

I am merging fields from an Excel file into a Word doc. I have the "confirm conversion at open" on, and I select the "DDE" option.

The field of concern is defined as "text" in the Excel file. If the field data contains characters in italics, the italics are NOT brought across to the target Word document.

Can you offer any enlightenment? (As in, this is driving me buggy!)

Hopeful Purrrrrs... wac

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word simply does not see word formatting in data sources.

One thing you can try is
a. copy/paste the data into a new Word document. If the formatting you
want is preserved you may have a chance.
b. use Alt-F9 to show the field codes, e.g. { MERGEFIELD myfield }
c. for those fields where you want the formatting, change MERGEFIELD
to REF

This relies on the fact that very early versions of Word used to work
along these lines, so I wouldn't rely too heavily on it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk