Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christian Durden Christian Durden is offline

Default Converter from *.doc to *.docx

Hi all,
does someone know if there is an converter for *.docx?

We do have a lot of Word 2003 Documents and want them to convert into
Word 2007, so we can avoid the compatibility mod.
Is there a script or something else which does this automatically for a
couple of directories?

Thanx in advance!
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnJ[_2_] JohnJ[_2_] is offline

Yes, the Office Compatibility Pack should assist at following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

"Christian Durden" wrote in message
Hi all,
does someone know if there is an converter for *.docx?

We do have a lot of Word 2003 Documents and want them to convert into Word
2007, so we can avoid the compatibility mod.
Is there a script or something else which does this automatically for a
couple of directories?

Thanx in advance!
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Chris,

If you're deploying Office 2007 there is a set of utilities in the
Office Migration Planning Manager (OMPM) in the Office 2007 resource kit that can be used to scan existing documents for problems
and to process them/convert them to the new format if needed.
http://microsoft.com/office/ork

The compatibility pack that John mentioned is basically targeted at users who have versions other than Office 2007 and who want to
have the capability to open/save in the new Office 2007 XML based formats.
In Word 2007 saving in new document format (set as default in the Options) or File Button=Convert will take the document out of
compatibility mode and file format. You could use an AutoOpen macro in Word that would 'convert' (take you out of compatibility
mode) on open as well, among other techniques.

================

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Mine too. I only have 2003 at work so it must be a two-way thing.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"JohnJ" wrote in message
Yes, the Office Compatibility Pack should assist at following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

"Christian Durden" wrote in message
Hi all,
does someone know if there is an converter for *.docx?

We do have a lot of Word 2003 Documents and want them to convert
into Word 2007, so we can avoid the compatibility mod.
Is there a script or something else which does this automatically
for a couple of directories?

Thanx in advance!
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christian Durden Christian Durden is offline

Hi Bob,
thanks for the answer. It looks like it is exactly what I was looking
for. But I am too stupid too use it. I tried it with the ofc.exe and an
ofc.ini file but I do always receive the following message, after I
typed "ofc ofc.ini" into the command prompt.

Error: Invalid or missing 'LogDestinationPath' value in OFC.INI
Error: Invalid or missing 'SourcePathTemplate' value in OFC.INI
Error: Invalid or missing 'DestinationPathTemplate' value in OFC.INI
Error: Error(s) validating OFC.ini file

Well I tried it for 3 hours. Could you please help me out?
What I need is to convert files from c:\word2003\*.* (including
Subfolders) to c:\word2007\*.*

Thank in advance!!!

Bob Buckland ?:-) schrieb:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

True but if you are taking full advantage of the .docx format, you could
lose something in the conversion.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But Word 2007 can open Word 2003 files without a converter.

so
all may benefit.

"JohnJ" wrote in message
Yes, the Office Compatibility Pack should assist at following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

"Christian Durden" wrote in message
Hi all,
does someone know if there is an converter for *.docx?

We do have a lot of Word 2003 Documents and want them to convert
into Word 2007, so we can avoid the compatibility mod.
Is there a script or something else which does this automatically
for a couple of directories?

Thanx in advance!
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christian Durden Christian Durden is offline

Sorry,

I think now I got it.

Greetings

Bob Buckland ?:-) schrieb:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

The ability of the converter add-into both open from and save to the new document formats from within Word 2000, 2002 and 2003 was a
major focus item for the converter, so that companies/govtagencies, etc, could make use of the new format, even though not all
features import cleanly.

What it doesn't support in either direction are Office 2007 file type, template files.

=============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
But Word 2007 can open Word 2003 files without a converter.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kirk Kirk is offline

I tried Fileformatconverters.exe on Office 2000 and this tool did not work at
all!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Kirk wrote:
I tried Fileformatconverters.exe on Office 2000 and this tool did not
work at all!

Have you applied Service Pack 3 to your Office installation? According to
the download page for the converter
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
the Service Pack is part of the requirement. Also, does your Windows
installation meet the requirements for service packs listed in the same
section?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kirk Kirk is offline

Yes Office 2000 is installed with SP3, and does meet all requirements!

Also in Word 2000 you get the new file format for Word 2007 under save as.

You do not get the option in Excel or Powerpoint, I have tried reinstalling
Fileformatconverters.exe but still the same problem are we sure that this
tool should work on office 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kirk Kirk is offline

I have installed SP3 and the Office installtion does meet the requirements.

Also under save as in Word 2000 the new Wrod 2007 file format appears, but
under Excel and Powerpoint there is no 2007 option.

I have tried reinstalling Fileformatconverters.exe but same result.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Kirk wrote:
I have installed SP3 and the Office installtion does meet the
requirements.

Also under save as in Word 2000 the new Wrod 2007 file format
appears, but under Excel and Powerpoint there is no 2007 option.

I have tried reinstalling Fileformatconverters.exe but same result.

Since the problem seems to be with Excel and PowerPoint and not with Word, I
think you should post this question in the Excel and/or PowerPoint
newsgroups. Another place that may help is the microsoft.public.office.setup
newsgroup.

As another suggestion, change your subject line. The problem you described
doesn't concern *.doc to .docx conversion (or vice versa), since that works.
Instead, refer to Fileformatconverters.exe.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Docx hyperlinks? Richard Microsoft Word Help 1 May 7th 07 08:56 PM
.docx? Kelly Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 07 09:35 PM
docx converter doesn't work mintspres Microsoft Word Help 10 February 26th 07 06:06 PM
Converting docx into doc John Smith New Users 2 August 9th 06 03:27 PM
How Do I Change *.docx To *.doc Nicknafs Microsoft Word Help 3 June 12th 06 06:45 AM