Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Naomin Naomin is offline

Default Table of contents not numbering correctly

I created my own styles and applied them to the TOC. On my document, the TOC
numbers correctly, but when i send it to someone else and that person opens
it, the pages all become "3". However, when she prints or previews, they go
back to correct numbering!
Any clues?

thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would guess that the recipient is opening your document directly from the
attachment and has not disabled Reading Layout view (which affects only
documents opened directly from an attachment). This is a known effect of
opening a document in RL view. There's nothing you can do on your end other
than suggest that the recipient:

1. Disable Reading Layout view (Tools | Options General), or

2. Save the attachment and open it within Word instead of opening the
attachment directly, or

3. After opening in Reading Layout view, switch to Print Layout view, click
in the TOC and update (F9).