Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tbarber

Default Why don't comments or tracked changes show when cursor hovers ove.

When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for those edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Default Why don't comments or tracked changes show when cursor hovers

Hi Suzanne,

I am having trouble with this same thing. My ScreenTip style is set to "Show
feature desciptions in ScreenTips", but no screentips are showing. I'm using
Word 2007 - any suggestions?

Thanks!

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for those

edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I like your response! I did try being more patient, but no luck. I was
working on a file yesterday and was able to see screen tips, but not
consistently. Today, I can't see them at all.

Hate to ask, but any other suggestions? I've tried working on existing and
new documents, just to experiment, but nothing.

Thanks!

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just to clarify, are we talking about the ScreenTips on ribbon items or on
comments (as in the original post)? It does not appear that there is more
than one setting for ScreenTips in Word 2007, and it should cover both
types.

If this is about comments, I assume you're working in Draft view or in Print
Layout view with balloons disabled (otherwise you'd see the comment in a
balloon). I don't seem to have any problem with ScreenTips for comments
except if I insert a comment in an otherwise empty document, in which case
it doesn't have any text to attach itself to (and that's the only way I can
insert a single-point comment because if I try to insert one in an empty
paragraph, it jumps back to the last word of the previous paragraph).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have "ScreenTips" checked on the View tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for
those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with user
or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just accidentally discovered that there *is* another setting that might
affect this: Office Button | Word Options | Display: Show document tooltips
on hover. See whether you have that one checked.

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for
those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with
user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Somehow I missed that one when I was searching through Wrod Options. That's
the fix, though! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post - I
truly appreciate it!

Have a great week!

P.S. As an aswer to your previous post, in case anyone else is looking for
the same type of information - yes, I was talking about ScreenTips for
comments, as well as tracked changes. And, yes, I was working in Print Layout
view.

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for
those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with
user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is easy to miss a lot of the options because so many of them are not
"where they are supposed to be." Some of the options are new or have been
reworded or are not grouped with the options they used to be associated
with, and some of them seem to be in rather illogical places.

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for
those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with
user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where
should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angela g angela g is offline

Suzanne- 18 months after you posted this, it's making my day. I knew there
was some obscure poorly named term for having the tracked changes details
show, tracked down that it's the poorly named (at least with respect to
Tracked Changes, Screentips), checked the setting, they were on. Wondering
what the heck as I try to sort out comments from 3 clients.
So glad to find this msg. And I appreciate your subsequent one,
diplomatically saying how things aren't always where they should be. Thanks!

"tbarber" wrote in message
When I hover my cursor over edits that include comments, or for
those
edits
made with Track Changes turned on, a popup does not appear with
user or
comment information. Could my settings be the cause? Where should I
look?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I'm glad that solved your problem. One never knows what odd bit may
come in handy sometime.

http://word.mvps.org