Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cmglaser cmglaser is offline

Default Word 2007 mail merge goes to desktop when Outlook contacts chosen

When I try to do a mail merge in Word 2007 I choose start mail merge, then
the step by step wizard. When I get to the part of choosing recipients, I
choose select from Outlook contacts except nothing happens. It Just brings me
to my desktop. What is going wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try starting the mailmerge from Outlook.

See the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

That article was written before 2007, but it may still help

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cmglaser" wrote in message
When I try to do a mail merge in Word 2007 I choose start mail merge, then
the step by step wizard. When I get to the part of choosing recipients, I
choose select from Outlook contacts except nothing happens. It Just brings
me
to my desktop. What is going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cmglaser cmglaser is offline

Default Word 2007 mail merge goes to desktop when Outlook contacts cho

Thank you for the help. I was able to do the mail merge starting from
Outlook, which was a big help however, what if I want to use a given
template? For instance, have the contact info. merge directly into a fax
template. Can I do that?

Thanks again.

"cmglaser" wrote in message
When I try to do a mail merge in Word 2007 I choose start mail merge, then
the step by step wizard. When I get to the part of choosing recipients, I
choose select from Outlook contacts except nothing happens. It Just brings
me
to my desktop. What is going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Y21nbGFzZXI=?=,

Thank you for the help. I was able to do the mail merge starting from
Outlook, which was a big help however, what if I want to use a given
template? For instance, have the contact info. merge directly into a fax
template. Can I do that?

Read through that dialog box for Mail Merge in Outlook very carefully. The
second section lets you choose an existing document as the starting point.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cmglaser cmglaser is offline

I do see where you can pick another document. The trouble is that my fax
template doesn't contain outlook contact merge fields and I don't know how to
add them to the template (or do I have to do this each time I use the
template).

Maybe, I should back up a bit . . . I am a new user to Outlook w/ Business
Contact Manager. I am evaluating it for our small company. We've been using
ACT database software for 10 years and if you want to write a letter, fax, or
email all you do is choose your customer and click write letter, write fax,
etc (or choose a template) and it then opens Word with all the prefilled
contact information. Is this something that can be done through Outlook w/
BCM? or is there an add-on product to do this with Outlook?

I greatly appreciate any assistance.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Y21nbGFzZXI=?=,

Thank you for the help. I was able to do the mail merge starting from
Outlook, which was a big help however, what if I want to use a given
template? For instance, have the contact info. merge directly into a fax
template. Can I do that?

Read through that dialog box for Mail Merge in Outlook very carefully. The
second section lets you choose an existing document as the starting point.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Although written for Office 2003 - the principles shown at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm for incorporating Outlook data in
documents should still apply.

cmglaser wrote:
I do see where you can pick another document. The trouble is that my
fax template doesn't contain outlook contact merge fields and I don't
know how to add them to the template (or do I have to do this each
time I use the template).

Maybe, I should back up a bit . . . I am a new user to Outlook w/
Business Contact Manager. I am evaluating it for our small company.
We've been using ACT database software for 10 years and if you want
to write a letter, fax, or email all you do is choose your customer
and click write letter, write fax, etc (or choose a template) and it
then opens Word with all the prefilled contact information. Is this
something that can be done through Outlook w/ BCM? or is there an
add-on product to do this with Outlook?

I greatly appreciate any assistance.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Y21nbGFzZXI=?=,

Thank you for the help. I was able to do the mail merge starting
from Outlook, which was a big help however, what if I want to use a
given template? For instance, have the contact info. merge directly
into a fax template. Can I do that?

Read through that dialog box for Mail Merge in Outlook very
carefully. The second section lets you choose an existing document
as the starting point.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] andershg@gmail.com is offline

Hello,
I am having a similar problem. Fields like PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS and
PR_STREET_ADDRESS
do not exist anymore in Outlook 2007. Running my code on a machine with
Outlook 2003 works
fine, but on Outlook 2007 (using same exchange server) does not
retrieve the fields mentioned above.

I am using the Application.GetAddress function of Word VBA. This also
can be verified with OutlookSpy
(http://www.dimastr.com/outspy/).

Has anyone found a solution for this? Is the GetAddress function
depreciated with Word 2007?

Any help is very appreciated.

best regards,
anders.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A quick experiment here suggests that these fields still work OK when
getting information from an Outlook Contact list. Some possibilities:
a. Support may only be avaliable for certain types of address book. (For
example, the PAB seems to have disappeared in OL2007)
b. could the upgrade have changed some other aspect of your address book
that your code relies on, e.g. changed the "Show names by" from "First Last"
to "File As" (the sort of stuff you can change in your Outlook Profile"

Other than that, nothing else springs to mind right now. But can you tell
a. whether your GetAddress calls are getting data for the right people
b. whether /any/ of the "PR_" names work?

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...