John OGrady

Default Why do Word 2003 Files with Macros open so slowly?

I am using Microsoft Word 2003. I use templates, that are not created by me,
with Macros enabled. I have turned the security down to its lowest level so
I am not asked if I want to enable the Macros when the file opens.

When I open any of these files, they take about five minutes to fully open.
During that time, the application appears frozen and if I click anywhere in
the window, the page goes white. At the end of the approximate five minute
timeframe, the document opens and I can work on it.

Closing the file usually, but not always, takes a few minutes as well.
After a few minutes, I am prompted to save changes in the document and when
I respond, it closes .
Charles Kenyon

Possibly your virus checker is in action.

You should _not_ have macro security turned to Low. Instead, you should be
storing your templates in a templates folder and setting security to trust
installed templates and add-ins. For more on the different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"John OGrady" John wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Word 2003. I use templates, that are not created by
me,
with Macros enabled. I have turned the security down to its lowest level
so
I am not asked if I want to enable the Macros when the file opens.

When I open any of these files, they take about five minutes to fully
open.
During that time, the application appears frozen and if I click anywhere
in
the window, the page goes white. At the end of the approximate five
minute
timeframe, the document opens and I can work on it.

Closing the file usually, but not always, takes a few minutes as well.
After a few minutes, I am prompted to save changes in the document and
when
I respond, it closes .

garfield-n-odie

And see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561 "Documents that have
attached templates take a long time to open in Word 2002 and in Word
2003" for another possible explanation.

Non .doc files Tino New Users 12 March 9th 05 09:43 AM
how to convert wordperfect 5.0 floppy files to word pcoelho Microsoft Word Help 2 February 17th 05 06:55 PM
Why does document open in word 97 but not 2003? Charles Kenyon Microsoft Word Help 5 January 31st 05 04:54 PM