CyndyD

Default template for letterheading

I have created my company's letterheading in Word but the text in the
letterheading moves when the text of the letter is added, how do i stop this?
Charles Kenyon

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"CyndyD" wrote in message
I have created my company's letterheading in Word but the text in the
letterheading moves when the text of the letter is added, how do i stop
this?

Cynthia

I helped create letterheads at Group Health with their logo, and we always
put that into the HEADER rather than in the body of the document. This
printed out just fine when we used plain paper. We also had printed
letterhead paper we used for certain letters. But for the most part, we
used the templates with the letterhead in it. How are you trying to set
yours up?

CyndyD

Charles,sorry for delay in replying.Really appreciate your help,have now
looked at all of the links suggested by you and understand the procedures
much better. What I'm wondering however is if we will need to change the way
we process work in order to use our own electronically produced (as opposed
to printed off by ourselves) letterheading.At present each secretary and
paralegal sets up one file each day for her daily typing - that file contains
every letter produced that day,she doesn't open up a new document every time
she types a new letter,not sure if there's any way of "importing" the
letterheading document(it will be entirely a text file, no graphics) into
each new letter as and when required.Anyway, thanks again for your help,
Cyndy Duff

"CyndyD" wrote in message
I have created my company's letterheading in Word but the text in the
letterheading moves when the text of the letter is added, how do i stop
this?

CyndyD

Thanks for reply(got a bit confused at first as I'm Cynthia too and thought
your reply was my message!).I'm trying to set the letterhead up so that it's
produced as part of the letter as opposed to printed off separately.I've
tried your suggestion and those from another reply and I think I've got the
hang of setting the letterhead up now. My only problem is that our
secretaries and paralegals produce all of their days typing in one
single,continuous file and I don't know whether the letterheading template
can somehow be incorporated in this at the appropriate pages as and when
needed. Thanks again for your time,

"Cynthia" wrote:

I helped create letterheads at Group Health with their logo, and we always
put that into the HEADER rather than in the body of the document. This
printed out just fine when we used plain paper. We also had printed
letterhead paper we used for certain letters. But for the most part, we
used the templates with the letterhead in it. How are you trying to set
yours up?

Daiya Mitchell

If your typists put a next page section break between each letter, you can
use the same techniques--the letterhead will be in the First Page Header in
every section. I can't remember offhand whether they will have to turn on
First Page Header every time they create a section.

Just make sure they are using a doc based on the letterhead template--then
it will already be in there, you don't need to import it.