Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hjcoombs hjcoombs is offline

Default Word cannot open .dbf source data for mail merge

I am trying to do a mail merge but Word says it cannot open my .dbf data
source file despite having used this same file previously. Also in existing
mail merge documents linked to the same .dbf file it will not update/refresh
mail merge with new data added to database, stuck with data as it was when
original document was created (one year ago) so now completely useless.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you getting automatic updates from Microsoft? I wonder if this is the
consequence of one of those.

Which version of Word? What is creating the .dbfs (is it FoxPro, or
something else?)

Do you have Access, and if so, can you successfully create linked tables to
the .dbf files? If so, you shoulf be able to use the linked table as a data
source in Word and that may be the best way to go in future.

Peter Jamieson
"hjcoombs" wrote in message
I am trying to do a mail merge but Word says it cannot open my .dbf data
source file despite having used this same file previously. Also in
existing
mail merge documents linked to the same .dbf file it will not
update/refresh
mail merge with new data added to database, stuck with data as it was when
original document was created (one year ago) so now completely useless.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?aGpjb29tYnM=?=,

I am trying to do a mail merge but Word says it cannot open my .dbf data
source file despite having used this same file previously. Also in existing
mail merge documents linked to the same .dbf file it will not update/refresh
mail merge with new data added to database, stuck with data as it was when
original document was created (one year ago) so now completely useless.

Version of Word? Did you upgrade Word since you last used the mail merge? Or
did you install something during this time that has anything to do with "data"?

What database software is generating the dbf files?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hjcoombs hjcoombs is offline

The .dbf file was created by FoxPro and I was using Word 2003 - I managed to
get someone else to help me and they said my ODBC(?) wasn't set up properly,
I left them to it and it works now. Thanks Peter and Cindy for taking the
time to reply.

Hi ?B?aGpjb29tYnM=?=,