Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Default Editing spell-check lexicon

How do I edit the spell-check lexicon to exclude certain words from the
spell-check?

The reason for this is that certain errors are not flagged as errors because
the mis-spelled word is a valid word that's included in the lexicon and
isn't flagged as an error. An example of this is the word 'for' which I
often mis-type as 'fro'. Because 'fro' is a valid word it isn't flagged as
a mistake. However it's a word I'd rarely use, if ever and it would be much
better if I could remove this from the lexicon so my mistyping of the word
'for' would show as a mistake.

JF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

That's just what I wanted. I did this on a previous installation and it
didn't work (probably did something wrong), but this time it's spot on!

JF.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

so
all may benefit.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
How do I edit the spell-check lexicon to exclude certain words from the
spell-check?

The reason for this is that certain errors are not flagged as errors

because
the mis-spelled word is a valid word that's included in the lexicon and
isn't flagged as an error. An example of this is the word 'for' which I
often mis-type as 'fro'. Because 'fro' is a valid word it isn't flagged

as
a mistake. However it's a word I'd rarely use, if ever and it would be

much
better if I could remove this from the lexicon so my mistyping of the
word
'for' would show as a mistake.

JF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

I just noticed that this only appears to work on the Word spellchecker as an
email I just sent had the 'fro' mistake in it.

I thought all Office products shared the spellchecker?

How can I achieve that same thing for spellchecking in Outlook?

JF.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It would appear that perhaps they share the same lexicon (and perhaps
Custom.dic) but not the exclusion dictionary? I don't use the spell checker
in emails, so I wouldn't know.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
I just noticed that this only appears to work on the Word spellchecker as

an
email I just sent had the 'fro' mistake in it.

I thought all Office products shared the spellchecker?

How can I achieve that same thing for spellchecking in Outlook?

JF.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne.

That's just what I wanted. I did this on a previous installation and it
didn't work (probably did something wrong), but this time it's spot on!

JF.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

I do use the spellchecker for emails. In fact it's a great pity that Word
can't invoke this automatically when a document is closed in the same way
Outlook does when a message is sent. It's saved me so many mistakes it's
difficult to see why this isn't on by default or, indeed, why anybody would
want to disable it.

What you've suggested is a fair explanation of why it doesn't work, but I
can't help but think that such behaviour is by design. Much more likely
that it's been overlooked and remains broken because most people just put up
with it and haven't bothered to complain. Is there anything I can do to get
that might help to highlight the problem and get a fix scheduled for some
attention?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What version of Word and Outlook are you using? Are you using mixed
versions? For example Word 2003 and Outlook 2007?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Thanks Beth.

Both are from the Office 2007 CD (supplied in MS Action Pack).

Our server is running SBS 2003 R2 and Exchange server 2003, so the client
PCs had to be added to the domain. I understand that some changes are made
to the client PCs, including some changes to the Outlook clients, but I
can't see that this should affect the spell-check in any way.

Am I right in assuming that all Office apps should share the spell-checking
engine and thereby share the exclusion dictionary that is the subject of
this post?

JF.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Since you are using Office 2007, what did you name the exclusion dictionary
and where is it placed?

You are correct, Office apps should share spell check features and I can use
my exclusion dictionary in Word, Outlook, PPT, Excel. (I didn't verify
Access when this came up.) So if you can't use it then something isn't
right.

Although....Exchange Server 2003 could have something to do with it. I've
heard about a few strange bugs for those using Exchange 2003 and Outlook
2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Sorry Beth, I'm using 2003 not 2007 (got confused coz I have 2007 at home).

My exclusion dictionary is named MSSP3EN.EXC and located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\JonathanFinney\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

Does this make any difference?

My test (and currently the only entry in the exclusion dictionary) is the
word 'fro' that I frequently mistype in place of 'for'. Although 'fro' is a
real (if somewhat arcane) word, I'm unlikely to use it so I found out about
the exclusion dictionary.

I just tested it in the OE Newsreader I'm using and it doesn't work here
either.

I'd like to get it fixed though!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I can't confirm Office 2003 since I'm using Office 2007. Perhaps someone
else can?

Now, if you are using Outlook Express then I doubt it will recognize the
exclusion dictionary. Even though it's named 'Outlook' it's not Office
related.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

I stopped using OE years ago. Despite having some features that I miss, it
simply isn't powerful enough to do the jobs handled by Outlook.

I use Outlook Newsreader which I understand is OE with a different skin, so
that may explain why it exhibits the fault, but I'd like to get to the
bottom of this and get it fixed if possible, so any help you can give by
passing it on to someone who may be able to help will be much appreciated.

It's likely we'll be migrating to Office 2007 this year, but Outlook is one
app that hasn't benefitted as much as the others from the new interface
developments which is a pity given the vast user base and potential
improvements available to Outlook users. At least you've confirmed that the
spell checking works across all Office products in 2007. It is my opinion
that Microsoft could easily justify allocating a bigger proportion of its
development budget on Outlook. What are your thoughts on this? How do I
make my voice heard on this matter?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to share dictionaries across a
workgroup. Keeping dictionaries synchronised across many PCs is an
administrative task that should be unnecessary in the modern workgroup
scenario.

I'll post a new topic regarding this and would appreciate your input.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
It's likely we'll be migrating to Office 2007 this year, but Outlook
is one app that hasn't benefitted as much as the others from the new
interface developments which is a pity given the vast user base and
potential improvements available to Outlook users.

Frankly I personally think that the new additions to Outlook have improved
it a great deal. It is now easier to use and doesn't require the huge
re-learning curve introduced by the ribbon system. I for one hope that
unneccesary 'improvements' are avoided

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Thanks Ed. but the post is actually about the spell-checking system and the
fact that I can't get the exclusion dictionary to work when sending an email
in Outlook (not using Word as my email editor).

In future I'll be more careful hewn I drift into a general rant as it
obviously distracts from the original point of the post.

I'd like to give more details of why I made the comments about Outlook
development, but it's outside the scope of this thread.

Any ideas who might be able to help with the spell-check problem?

JF.