DevArrah

Default I could use some help with this access/word whackiness

I'm trying to merge some currency field into a document.
In the document as it stands, the figures will show up correctly, i.e.
$14,112.30 for instance

but then I saved the word document under a different name and added the
same query as the data source but when I insert the mergefield i get
unformatted numbers i.e. 14112.30. The weird thing is when I reconnect
the query, it'll lose for formatting to.

I've looked in the help file of word
I've looked at the field codes for mergefield

and I can't see how the first document is formatting the number

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I can retain the currency
formatting in the mergefield automatically?
Peter Jamieson

It could be that the first document is getting its data from Access using
DDE (particularly if it was originally created using Word 2000 or earlier)
and the second one is using ODBC, or more likely, OLEDB (Word 2002 and
later).

If Access actually starts when you open the first document but not when you
open the second, that is almost certainly the explanation.

To change the way Word connects in Word 2002/2003, check Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions at open, then go through the
connection process again and choose the one you want when offered.

If it isn't that, I don't know what the difference is.

Peter Jamieson

"DevArrah" wrote in message
I'm trying to merge some currency field into a document.
In the document as it stands, the figures will show up correctly, i.e.
$14,112.30 for instance

but then I saved the word document under a different name and added the
same query as the data source but when I insert the mergefield i get
unformatted numbers i.e. 14112.30. The weird thing is when I reconnect
the query, it'll lose for formatting to.

I've looked in the help file of word
I've looked at the field codes for mergefield

and I can't see how the first document is formatting the number

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I can retain the currency
formatting in the mergefield automatically?

DevArrah

In article ,
"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

It could be that the first document is getting its data from Access using
DDE (particularly if it was originally created using Word 2000 or earlier)
and the second one is using ODBC, or more likely, OLEDB (Word 2002 and
later).

If Access actually starts when you open the first document but not when you
open the second, that is almost certainly the explanation.

To change the way Word connects in Word 2002/2003, check Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions at open, then go through the
connection process again and choose the one you want when offered.

If it isn't that, I don't know what the difference is.

Peter Jamieson

Thanks
I dunno if that was it but I fixed it by using the general switches i
learned about from the thread below mine