Jim Wood

Default Tables won't break across pages.

I've got a series of Word documents that are composed largely of tables...
this for annotation in what becomes a wide margin. Under Word in Office 2000
I never had a problem, except that Widow/Orphan control didn't seem to work
in tables. No big deal, this could be managed manually.

But now, using Word for Office 2003/XP, I cannot get a table to break across
page transitions. Only 'complete' table cells can be accommodated on a page,
otherwise contiguous cells break apart and slip to the next page, leaving a
big white space on the previous one.

Am I missing something? I'm almost ready to reinstall Office 2000!

Jim Wood

Thanks, Hélène,

But that box is already checked... defaults that way, I think. I even tried
unchecking the box and the rechecking it again... no dice. I have to split
the table manually to fit as many cells on one page as I can, then live with
the white space on the previous page. Something here is different than with
Office 2000.

-Jim

Jim Wood

Thanks, Suzanne,

But I thought of that, too. This one really has me baffled. (I think) I've
tried everything!

Jim

John Batterham

Jim,

Did you create these documents in Word 2000 or Word 2003, or doesn't it
matter on your computer?

Have you looked at whether you have chosen apply formatting to the whole
table within the Modify Style of the particular style you are using for this
table, rather than some of the other single row or cell options?

"Jim Wood" wrote:

Thanks, Suzanne,

But I thought of that, too. This one really has me baffled. (I think) I've
tried everything!

Jim

Click in each paragraph in the affected cells (one at a time) and go to
Format | Paragraph. On the Line and Page Breaks tab, make sure "Keep with
next" is not checked.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure the text in the relevant cells is not formatted as "Keep with
next."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.