Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
McJean McJean is offline

Default text form fields in Word 2007

I want to limited the number of characters that can be entered into a text
form field. It is my understanding to limit the amount of information you
can set a maximum width by selecting the field, clicking Properties in the
Controls group, and entering a value under Maximum length. To make the field
look as long as its maximum length, add instructional text by clicking
Properties in the Controls group, and typing text, such as Type your first
name here, under Default text. I tried this, but it did not actually prevent
me from typing more characters than I entered. Is this the way it is suppose
to work? I actually thought it would prevent me from typing more than the
number entered. Maybe its just works as a visual thing...Does anyone know or
have any experience? Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use legacy form fields and put them in borderless table cells of fixed row
height and column width. You can type whatever you want in the fields but
anything that doesn't fit the table cell will 'disappear'.

You will probably find
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm useful.