Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ReneeB

Default How do I create a template & Do A Mail Merge In It?

I downloaded a template for jumbo postcards. I need to make the front of the
card as well as part of its back so that it's not editable. I also need to
be able to do a mail merge in the lower right area of the card. When I tried
doing a mail merge in the post card, it only added Address a the box of
the top portion/Postcard 1 of the template, but the bottom/Postcard 2 was
left alone. Also, when I tried to preview it, Address boxes were both blank.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ReneeB" wrote in message
I downloaded a template for jumbo postcards. I need to make the front of
the
card as well as part of its back so that it's not editable. I also need
be able to do a mail merge in the lower right area of the card. When I
tried
doing a mail merge in the post card, it only added Address a the box
of
the top portion/Postcard 1 of the template, but the bottom/Postcard 2 was
left alone. Also, when I tried to preview it, Address boxes were both
blank.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Given that you have not told us where you got this template from we can only
make wild guesses about how it was created. If the fields you insert don't
work it is probably because the template uses text boxes. Fields in text
boxes are not seen by the merge, being in the drawing layer of the document.

The thing to do is to create a two row two column table, where the two rows
correspond to one side of the cards (you'll need another merge document for
the backs). Set this up as a form letter merge. Put your merge fields in the
right hand top cell column and format them as you want. Copy and paste to
the cell below. Add a Next field to the start of that cell. Put your fixed
information in the left cells. Merge to a new document.

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

may help

ReneeB wrote:
I downloaded a template for jumbo postcards. I need to make the
front of the card as well as part of its back so that it's not
editable. I also need to be able to do a mail merge in the lower
right area of the card. When I tried doing a mail merge in the post
card, it only added Address a the box of the top portion/Postcard
1 of the template, but the bottom/Postcard 2 was left alone. Also,
when I tried to preview it, Address boxes were both blank. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ReneeB

We have several templates going on in this example. The first one I spoke of
is a template I downloaded from destopsupplies.com for the jumbo postcards
that I bought. After saving the postcard's template, I then designed a
postcard front and back. I would now like to save that design as a template
and use it in a mail merge.

Keep in mind that since it's a jumbo postcard, there are 2 cards per sheet
that need to be recognized in the merge so that it will add 2 addresses per
sheet.

So, my problem is 2 pt. How do I save the newly created designs as a
template and then do a mail merge/set up an address field that will be
recognize the top and bottom cards?

ReneeB wrote:
I downloaded a template for jumbo postcards. I need to make the
front of the card as well as part of its back so that it's not
editable. I also need to be able to do a mail merge in the lower
right area of the card. When I tried doing a mail merge in the post
card, it only added Address a the box of the top portion/Postcard
1 of the template, but the bottom/Postcard 2 was left alone. Also,
when I tried to preview it, Address boxes were both blank. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You use FileSave As the save the document.

For the mailmerge part, after attaching the data source to the template, you
insert the merge fields into both of the post cards on the template in the
configuration that you want the information to appear and before the first
merge field in the second post card, insert a Next Record field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

ReneeB wrote:
I downloaded a template for jumbo postcards. I need to make the
front of the card as well as part of its back so that it's not
editable. I also need to be able to do a mail merge in the lower
right area of the card. When I tried doing a mail merge in the post
card, it only added Address a the box of the top portion/Postcard
1 of the template, but the bottom/Postcard 2 was left alone. Also,
when I tried to preview it, Address boxes were both blank. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

With the proviso that the merge will not see any fields you have put in a
text box, simply save the document as a template.
As for the data for thge second card, add a Next record field at the start
of the second card.