Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Needhelp139 Needhelp139 is offline

Default Why are there dots between the words?

In my text as I am typing dots appear between the words. These are not the
normal dots that can be turned off by toggling the show/hide button, these
underline the blank spaces. These dots do not print but are very irritating.
I have tried everything that the word help has suggested but I can't find
anything that address this exact issues. Most of what I have found is
concerning formatting marks. The formatting marks are almost like dashes that
appear toward the middle of the character while these are underlining the
blank spaces. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

These are still formatting marks. The type of mark will depend on the font.
Tools options view - turn off all the formatting marks options. Then the
toggle will work correctly.

If that doesn't fix it, it is possible that the Word data key in the
registry is corrupt. If you rename or delete it all the options will be set
back to factory fresh defaults. See
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm which shows how to
identify the data key - though in this instance it is the settings sub key
that needs to be renamed (call it oldsettings - with Word and Outlook
closed - for testing.) soi that you can change it back again if necessary.

Needhelp139 wrote:
In my text as I am typing dots appear between the words. These are
not the normal dots that can be turned off by toggling the show/hide
button, these underline the blank spaces. These dots do not print but
are very irritating. I have tried everything that the word help has
suggested but I can't find anything that address this exact issues.
Most of what I have found is concerning formatting marks. The
formatting marks are almost like dashes that appear toward the middle
of the character while these are underlining the blank spaces. Please
help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Needhelp139 Needhelp139 is offline

Shortly after I posted this question, I found out how to get them to go way.
I went to tools, options, and unchecked the smart tags option. My coworker
has this option on and he doesn't have the same problem that I do, but now it
is resolved although I would like to know why that option had to be turned
off on mine and his didn't. I did however check the first suggestion about
turning all of the formatting marks off and they were already off.
If you have any further input, it will be appreciated. Thanks for the help.