Michael

Default "Document 1" remains after opening existing file

When I first start Word 2003, a blank "Document 1" appears. That's fine,
becuase sometimes I might want to start a new file. However, when I merely
want to use an existing file, after I open that file, the "Document 1"
remains.

I think I remember on the Mac version that if you opened a document without
modifying that automatic "Doc 1" file, the "Doc 1" disappears.

Is there a way to do that with Word 2003?

In my experience in Word 2003, if I open an existing file, Document1 is
closed, but if I create a new file based on another template, Document1
stays open. I believe this is correct, but in actual practice, I always type
a single space into Document1 as soon as I start Word so that it will remain
open for the entire session.