Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gradthesis

Default How do I line up my table of contents? Eg:Title.............pg #

In Word, I am trying to line up the page numbers on the right while
maintaining the leader dots/periods between the header and the page number.
It is never perfectly lined up! Automated TOC not an option as whole
document is separated saved as several parts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Use right tabs with dot leaders, same as the automated TOC does. (The
automation relates only to how the entries are gathered; it has nothing to
do with the formatting.) You can still use the built-in TOC styles.

BTW, dividing a document into parts doesn't prevent you using the TOC
automation, either.

"gradthesis" wrote in message
In Word, I am trying to line up the page numbers on the right while
maintaining the leader dots/periods between the header and the page
number.
It is never perfectly lined up! Automated TOC not an option as whole
document is separated saved as several parts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gradthesis

Thanks for your help. Please, can you be more specific? I tried the right
tabs and dot leaders and can't make it work. Also, still not sure how to use
the built in TOC styles without indicating entries in main body of document.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Use right tabs with dot leaders, same as the automated TOC does. (The
automation relates only to how the entries are gathered; it has nothing to
do with the formatting.) You can still use the built-in TOC styles.

BTW, dividing a document into parts doesn't prevent you using the TOC
automation, either.

"gradthesis" wrote in message
In Word, I am trying to line up the page numbers on the right while
maintaining the leader dots/periods between the header and the page
number.
It is never perfectly lined up! Automated TOC not an option as whole
document is separated saved as several parts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

You can apply the TOC 1, TOC 2, etc., styles to your own text, but they will
not have built-in tabs, so that's really not much help. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

FWIW, if you're creating a TOC manually anyway, it's far better to have two
right tabs, the first with a leader and the second without. Use the second
for the actual page number, the first to have a period leader that stops
short of the longest page number. This looks much neater. If any of your
titles are long enough to wrap to a second line, you will also want to give
your TOC style a right indent so that the title text will wrap short of your
tab stops.