Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
LisaH

Default Page x of y ("y" is wrong)

My customers want their document to have the page numbering start on what is
actually the 3rd page of the document. I can set the start number of the 3rd
page to 1, but then the final page says "Page 131 of 133." How can I make
that "of total" page number come out correctly?

FYI, I've read several articles on Word page numbering, but none seems to
specifically address this. I gather that I could make it happen if I divided
the document into two sections and numbered the sections differently, but the
document has several landscaped pages and so it already consists of more than
one section.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

LisaH wrote:
My customers want their document to have the page numbering start on what is
actually the 3rd page of the document. I can set the start number of the 3rd
page to 1, but then the final page says "Page 131 of 133." How can I make
that "of total" page number come out correctly?

FYI, I've read several articles on Word page numbering, but none seems to
specifically address this. I gather that I could make it happen if I divided
the document into two sections and numbered the sections differently, but the
document has several landscaped pages and so it already consists of more than
one section.

Thanks!

If you know how many initial pages won't be numbered, you can nest
{numpages} in a calculation field to produce the correct "of total"
number, viz.

{page} of {={numpages}-2}

I'm not sure how to make Word compute the offset automatically, however.
There's probably some clever way to extract it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman

Place a bookmark on the last page of the document -- let's say you
name the bookmark "lastpage".

In the footer, in place of the "y" in the "x of y", insert the field
{PageRef lastpage} to display the page number of the page that
contains that bookmark.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 12 May 2006 10:31:03 -0700, LisaH
wrote:

My customers want their document to have the page numbering start on what is
actually the 3rd page of the document. I can set the start number of the 3rd
page to 1, but then the final page says "Page 131 of 133." How can I make
that "of total" page number come out correctly?

FYI, I've read several articles on Word page numbering, but none seems to
specifically address this. I gather that I could make it happen if I divided
the document into two sections and numbered the sections differently, but the
document has several landscaped pages and so it already consists of more than
one section.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Tony

I find that using sections to separate out title pages, from contents
pages, from the body of a document, from appendices etc etc usually
solves these (and numerous other) problems.

To get the appropriate page numbering, do as you did and start the
numbering at 1 for the section you are in. Then instead of the
NUMPAGES field that gets stuck in if you use the header/footer toolbar,
go to Insert on the main menu; then Field; select Numbering from the
types of field; then choose SectionPages and insert it.
That should do the trick...