Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hlj2005 hlj2005 is offline

Default Word docs with embedded object files posting to Sharepoint Site

Hi, I have a word document with an inserted PDF file. Previously (b4
sharepoint), my user would copy & paste a pdf attachment from an email, and
paste it into word. We would then post just the word doc to our intranet and
other users were able to click on the PDF icon and open it in Reader. Now,
when we do the same thing and post the document to our Sharepoint site, the
icon is just an image file and isn't actually the PDF. Do we have to post the
word doc AND the PDF docs to Sharepoint? Why is it different now? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi hlj

hlj2005 wrote:
Hi, I have a word document with an inserted PDF file. Previously (b4
sharepoint), my user would copy & paste a pdf attachment from an email, and
paste it into word. We would then post just the word doc to our intranet and
other users were able to click on the PDF icon and open it in Reader. Now,
when we do the same thing and post the document to our Sharepoint site, the
icon is just an image file and isn't actually the PDF. Do we have to post the
word doc AND the PDF docs to Sharepoint? Why is it different now? Thanks!

someone more Sharepoint-savvy than myself (which, absolutely, does not
mean anything! :-)) might help here better (you might want to ask this
in a Sharepoint NG). Sounds like while you open the file through
Sharepoint, you don't have the same environment compared to when you
open the file from your HD? Can you confirm that in the latter case your
PDF still works as expected/previously?

OTOH, you did choose an unnecessary "wrapper" around the PDF with the
DOC -- you could easily have put the PDF files directly on your Intranet
page. Unless you want the PDF to be integral part of the host Word
document (i.e., there's other content there too). But then I'd be pretty
cautious, because often the direct import of a one-page PDF is getting
pixelated (comparable to importing an EPS which used to show the TIFF
preview if present).

2cents
Robert
--