Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

Default LISTNUM field

Hi all,
I'm a Word 2003 user and am working on an auto table of contents. I am using
section breaks to separate my sections. I would like to use the LISTNUM field
to number my subsections in order to create cross references to the
subsections (which makes it easier to mark the text - if I used auto
numbering I would have to manually insert each subsection number in the field
code). The LISTNUM field works great in section 1, however, I can not figure
out how to make the LISTNUM field know that I am in a new section, so when I
use the field in the next section it still lists the numbers as 1.1, 1.2,
1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc. Does anyone know of a switch, or some other way to
identify that I'm in a new section?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can add the \s switch (with a number as an argument) to an existing
LISTNUM field code to have it restart the numbering, if that is what you are
asking.

But note that it will be easier to use autonumbering (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/numbering...Numbering.html) and then create
cross-references to heading numbers via the Insert | Reference |
Cross-Reference dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP