Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hal Hal is offline

Default Check box question

I created an MS Word Form (template) that contains 3 checkboxes and 1
textbox. I coded the checkboxes so that when one is checked, the other two
are unchecked. I am trying to emulate what grouped radio buttons do, where
you can only click one at a time.

When I execute the document, I get the dialog box that askes me if I want to
enable/disable macros. I don't want that to pop up when users execute the
document. Is there a way to stop that from happening without asking the users
to change the security setting in MS Word, or is there another way of
handling what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you create the form as a template and instruct users to install it in the
folder assigned to user templates or workgroup templates *and* if they have
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins" checked on the Trusted Sources
tab of Tools | Macro | Security, there will be no dialog.

"Hal" wrote in message
I created an MS Word Form (template) that contains 3 checkboxes and 1
textbox. I coded the checkboxes so that when one is checked, the other two
are unchecked. I am trying to emulate what grouped radio buttons do, where
you can only click one at a time.

When I execute the document, I get the dialog box that askes me if I want

enable/disable macros. I don't want that to pop up when users execute the
document. Is there a way to stop that from happening without asking the

users
to change the security setting in MS Word, or is there another way of
handling what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hal Hal is offline

Default Check box question (slightly different question)

Is there a way to do a mail merge into a document that has been protected as
a form. Google has been of little help.
My inclination is that it can not be done, but I am an amateur compared to
you.
Hal

"Hal" wrote in message
I created an MS Word Form (template) that contains 3 checkboxes and 1
textbox. I coded the checkboxes so that when one is checked, the other two
are unchecked. I am trying to emulate what grouped radio buttons do, where
you can only click one at a time.

When I execute the document, I get the dialog box that askes me if I want

enable/disable macros. I don't want that to pop up when users execute the
document. Is there a way to stop that from happening without asking the

users
to change the security setting in MS Word, or is there another way of
handling what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've never tried to do this, and I'm having a hard time envisioning exactly
what you are trying to accomplish. My gut feeling is that it would not be
possible, but can you provide a better description of where the merge fields
would be placed?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you create the form as a template and instruct users to install it in

the
folder assigned to user templates or workgroup templates *and* if they

have
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins" checked on the Trusted

Sources
tab of Tools | Macro | Security, there will be no dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hal" wrote in message
I created an MS Word Form (template) that contains 3 checkboxes and 1
textbox. I coded the checkboxes so that when one is checked, the other

two
are unchecked. I am trying to emulate what grouped radio buttons do,

where
you can only click one at a time.

When I execute the document, I get the dialog box that askes me if I

want
enable/disable macros. I don't want that to pop up when users execute

the
document. Is there a way to stop that from happening without asking

the
users
to change the security setting in MS Word, or is there another way of
handling what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hal Hal is offline

Sorry if I was to vague.
I would like to create a Mail Merge document and then Protect it as Form
(Tools|Protect Document|Form) so no one can change the text. They could then
run a merge to populate the Merge fields with data from an Excel file,
filtering for just the records required (using Office 2002) from Mail Merge
Recipients. The text would always be identical (can not be edited), only the
Merged data would vary.
The questions is: Can I do this with a Word Mail Merge into a protected
document?
Thank you for you time.
Hal

"Hal" wrote in message
I created an MS Word Form (template) that contains 3 checkboxes and 1
textbox. I coded the checkboxes so that when one is checked, the other

two
are unchecked. I am trying to emulate what grouped radio buttons do,

where
you can only click one at a time.

When I execute the document, I get the dialog box that askes me if I

want
enable/disable macros. I don't want that to pop up when users execute

the
document. Is there a way to stop that from happening without asking

the
users
to change the security setting in MS Word, or is there another way of
handling what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I suspect that forms protection and mail merge are incompatible. The merge
fields would have to be in unprotected areas of the document, and the only
way to have (isolate) unprotected areas is with form fields; I don't believe
you can put merge fields in form fields. I could be entirely wrong, however;
I haven't tried this. Have you?

"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hal Hal is offline

Unfortunately, you would seem to be correct - Mail Merge and Protected forms
are incompatible. The MailMerge tool bar and the menu commands under Letters
and Mailing on the Tools menu are greyed out, therefore rendering MailMerge
unusable.
I will just have to come up with an alternate plan to accomplish what the
has been required. In any event, thank you very much for you time.
Hal