snib

Default Saving .doc files in FTP sites

I have some .doc files online that I access via FTP. When I open one, modify
it and attempt to save it, I am informed that the file is read-only, and it
is not saved.

The remote server is a unix box, but the permissions are set to allow all
users read/write/execute operations. I read somewhere that Word opens all
..doc files from the Web in read-only mode. Is there some way to overwrite the
original file with the modified file on the remote server?
garfield-n-odie

Don't attempt to edit the Word file while it is on the FTP site.
Instead, download the file to your hard drive, edit the file there, and
upload the modified file to the FTP site using your FTP or browser software.