davoud

Default Bidirectional layout and engkish phrases

Hi there,

For a bidirectional text (mixture of English and other languages in a
paragraph), a phrase which is suppose to be laid out in one line, some times
happens to be laid out on different lines (A phrase which is a combination of
two or more words is divided to two or more different words and laid out on
different lines of a paragraph).
To prevent this from happening, Microsoft Word's Special character (
No-width Optional Break ) does the trick in farsi language, which holds the
words tohether. However it seems it cannot hold the words together in an
english phrase.

What do you recommend for this case?

davoud

Well, for example "(Norton Antivirus 2004)" without qoutations. I want it to
be a phrase and if it is at the end of a line can move one line lower incase
there is no enough space.

"davoud" wrote:

Hi there,

For a bidirectional text (mixture of English and other languages in a
paragraph), a phrase which is suppose to be laid out in one line, some times
happens to be laid out on different lines (A phrase which is a combination of
two or more words is divided to two or more different words and laid out on
different lines of a paragraph).
To prevent this from happening, Microsoft Word's Special character (
No-width Optional Break ) does the trick in farsi language, which holds the
words tohether. However it seems it cannot hold the words together in an
english phrase.

What do you recommend for this case?

Are you sure you have *only* nonbreaking spaces and not some ordinary spaces
besides? I can't imagine why this would not work.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A nonbreaking space should accomplish this.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"davoud" wrote:

[...]

davoud

Yes I am. It sometimes works depend on the place of the phrase in the
paragraph but sometimes doesnot. If for instance you have two phrases each
one inside brackets, in english beside eachother seperated with a "farsi
comma" some of the brackets "(" or ")" end up in a place that shouldn't be.