Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingeborg

Default dutch spell check not working

I am working with the English version of XP and Word 2003. My Dutch spell
check does not work. I installed Dutch as my default language, I unchecked
the box "detect language automatically" in the language dialogue box, and
when I check my MS office language settings, it appears that I have a licence
for MS Office Proofing Tools including 40-odd languages including Dutch.
But still, when I spell check my document, a message appears that the spell
check is complete when it is not the case, because my text is full of
mistakes...
What am I doing wrong??!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Open the Word document where this problem occurs. Press Ctrl+A
to select all of the text, click on Tools | Language | Set
Language | choose your language | uncheck the "Detect language
automatically" and "Do not check spelling or grammar" boxes |
Default | OK, and press F7 to rerun spellcheck. If you are
prompted to save changes to your Normal.dot global template, say yes.

Ingeborg wrote:
I am working with the English version of XP and Word 2003. My Dutch spell
check does not work. I installed Dutch as my default language, I unchecked
the box "detect language automatically" in the language dialogue box, and
when I check my MS office language settings, it appears that I have a licence
for MS Office Proofing Tools including 40-odd languages including Dutch.
But still, when I spell check my document, a message appears that the spell
check is complete when it is not the case, because my text is full of
mistakes...
What am I doing wrong??!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingeborg

Sorry Garfield,

that does not help. My Word is still convinced that the spell check is
complete, after doing nothing at all....
I think the problem is due to the fact that I have an English version (in
which only French, spanish & english spell checks are available). I was
hoping that I could avoid buying MS Proofing tools, but I think that's the
only solution.

But thank you anyway!

Ingeborg wrote:
I am working with the English version of XP and Word 2003. My Dutch spell
check does not work. I installed Dutch as my default language, I unchecked
the box "detect language automatically" in the language dialogue box, and
when I check my MS office language settings, it appears that I have a licence
for MS Office Proofing Tools including 40-odd languages including Dutch.
But still, when I spell check my document, a message appears that the spell
check is complete when it is not the case, because my text is full of
mistakes...
What am I doing wrong??!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Obviously you need the dictionaries for the spell check to work. Your first
post suggested that you had the proofing tools, your last suggests you
haven't.

Ingeborg wrote:
I am working with the English version of XP and Word 2003. My Dutch
spell check does not work. I installed Dutch as my default
language, I unchecked the box "detect language automatically" in
the language dialogue box, and when I check my MS office language
settings, it appears that I have a licence for MS Office Proofing
Tools including 40-odd languages including Dutch.
But still, when I spell check my document, a message appears that
the spell check is complete when it is not the case, because my
text is full of mistakes...
What am I doing wrong??!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingeborg

Well, it does look like I have the proofing tools, when I check my Language
dialogue box I can read that I license was given to me, but when I check the
Proof settings on my C-drive, I can only find the English, French & Spanish
dictionnaries.
So maybe I should install the Dutch dictionnary from my installation cd's?
Let me know if you know how to do that!

Ingeborg wrote:
I am working with the English version of XP and Word 2003. My Dutch
spell check does not work. I installed Dutch as my default
language, I unchecked the box "detect language automatically" in
the language dialogue box, and when I check my MS office language
settings, it appears that I have a licence for MS Office Proofing
Tools including 40-odd languages including Dutch.
But still, when I spell check my document, a message appears that
the spell check is complete when it is not the case, because my
text is full of mistakes...
What am I doing wrong??!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The proofing tools are a separate application from Word. You will need to
install from them the language(s) that you need -
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...fingtools.mspx