Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nospam Nospam is offline

Default Erratic behavior

Not sure if this problem is a laptop issue, Windows XP, or something else.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 1 Gb of RAM, Windows XP SP2, and MS Word
2002.

Every so often when I'm typing away, the characters will stop appearing on
the screen and then quickly reappear elsewhere in the document--a few lines
away arbitrarily in the middle of words or sentences. Then I have to stop
and correct the text. Am I unknowingly hitting a wrong key? What causes this
problem, and how do I stop it? Thanks. --Arthur

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

This is usually due to an oversensitive touchpad: accidentally brushing the
touchpad simulates a double-tap (click of the mouse button). Either
desensitise the touchpad or disable the Double-Tap option.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Not sure if this problem is a laptop issue, Windows XP, or something else.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 1 Gb of RAM, Windows XP SP2, and MS
Word 2002.

Every so often when I'm typing away, the characters will stop appearing on
the screen and then quickly reappear elsewhere in the document--a few
lines away arbitrarily in the middle of words or sentences. Then I have to
stop and correct the text. Am I unknowingly hitting a wrong key? What
causes this problem, and how do I stop it? Thanks. --Arthur

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

There should be a setup dialog for your touchpad somewhere. This is often
the Mouse applet in the Control Panel though.

Terry

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you. How do I desensitize the touchpad?

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
This is usually due to an oversensitive touchpad: accidentally brushing
the touchpad simulates a double-tap (click of the mouse button). Either
desensitise the touchpad or disable the Double-Tap option.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Not sure if this problem is a laptop issue, Windows XP, or something
else. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 1 Gb of RAM, Windows XP SP2,
and MS Word 2002.

Every so often when I'm typing away, the characters will stop appearing
on the screen and then quickly reappear elsewhere in the document--a few
lines away arbitrarily in the middle of words or sentences. Then I have
to stop and correct the text. Am I unknowingly hitting a wrong key? What
causes this problem, and how do I stop it? Thanks. --Arthur

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nospam Nospam is offline

In control panel I see nothing for the touchpad--just the controls for the
Logitech mouse I installed. Nevertheless, the touchpad still works. How can
I disable it then? Thanks. --Arthur

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
There should be a setup dialog for your touchpad somewhere. This is often
the Mouse applet in the Control Panel though.

Terry

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you. How do I desensitize the touchpad?

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
This is usually due to an oversensitive touchpad: accidentally brushing
the touchpad simulates a double-tap (click of the mouse button). Either
desensitise the touchpad or disable the Double-Tap option.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Not sure if this problem is a laptop issue, Windows XP, or something
else. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 1 Gb of RAM, Windows XP SP2,
and MS Word 2002.

Every so often when I'm typing away, the characters will stop appearing
on the screen and then quickly reappear elsewhere in the document--a
few lines away arbitrarily in the middle of words or sentences. Then I
have to stop and correct the text. Am I unknowingly hitting a wrong
key? What causes this problem, and how do I stop it? Thanks. --Arthur

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

There must be a driver and options for the touchpad somewhere on your
laptop. Every touchpad has and needs such drivers. This is a Word forum and
as such we cannot really be expected to now this sort of detail - go to the
DELL support site, download and read the manual. It is your laptop, so you
need to learn something about it.

Terry

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
In control panel I see nothing for the touchpad--just the controls for the
Logitech mouse I installed. Nevertheless, the touchpad still works. How
can I disable it then? Thanks. --Arthur

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
There should be a setup dialog for your touchpad somewhere. This is often
the Mouse applet in the Control Panel though.

Terry

"Nospam" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you. How do I desensitize the touchpad?

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
This is usually due to an oversensitive touchpad: accidentally brushing
the touchpad simulates a double-tap (click of the mouse button). Either
desensitise the touchpad or disable the Double-Tap option.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

. ..