Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
--gr3gw --gr3gw is offline

Default Multiple Outline Numbered Lists in One Document

Just recently, I've mastered outline numbered and bulleted lists. Now I have
one set of style definitions for each with nine levels in each.

In some documents, I want to 'break' the the first numbered list and start a
second. I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Using 'restart
numbering' restarts the numbering but it is the same 'list'.

The reason I want to break the list is because, by default, the numbering of
the top level list style starts in column 1. Further down the document I may
want to start a new list indented (with demote) by the second level amount.
If I renumber and demote, the whole list gets demoted.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Greg

--gr3gw wrote:
Just recently, I've mastered outline numbered and bulleted lists. Now I have
one set of style definitions for each with nine levels in each.

Just curious: what would you need all 9 levels for?

In some documents, I want to 'break' the the first numbered list and start a
second. I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Using 'restart
numbering' restarts the numbering but it is the same 'list'.

The reason I want to break the list is because, by default, the numbering of
the top level list style starts in column 1. Further down the document I may
want to start a new list indented (with demote) by the second level amount.
If I renumber and demote, the whole list gets demoted.

Hmm, this sounds dangerously too much as not using styles for your
numbering (which would be error #1), and/or using the same style for
different content type or layout (#2).

#2 is actually one of the main "mantras" in structured documents: use
styles (almost) exclusively.

If you haven't already skimmed through the following articles, it might
be a good time to start. With emphasis on Margaret Aldis' text on
restart numbering.

Ins and outs of bullets and numbering in Word

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
How to restart style-based numbering (by Margaret Aldis)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a616aec?hl=en&

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
--gr3gw --gr3gw is offline

Robert:

Thanks for your assistance.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Greg

--gr3gw wrote:
Just recently, I've mastered outline numbered and bulleted lists. Now I have
one set of style definitions for each with nine levels in each.

Just curious: what would you need all 9 levels for?

When I built my numbered outline list, I couldn't decide how many levels I
would need in practice. At first I thought four, but then I knew that if I
had four then at the first real application of the outline list I would be
sure to need five. The same thing nagged me when I throught five would be
sufficient. So in the end I did all nine levels just to be certain. The only
downside is that I have a long list of style names that I really don't need
to see.

In some documents, I want to 'break' the the first numbered list and start a
second. I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Using 'restart
numbering' restarts the numbering but it is the same 'list'.

The reason I want to break the list is because, by default, the numbering of
the top level list style starts in column 1. Further down the document I may
want to start a new list indented (with demote) by the second level amount.
If I renumber and demote, the whole list gets demoted.

Hmm, this sounds dangerously too much as not using styles for your
numbering (which would be error #1), and/or using the same style for
different content type or layout (#2).

I'm definitely using styles to apply numbering. But I also thought I could
alter the level of the first indent of a 'new' list by demoting the first
line of a list. Shana Kelly's mentions this in one of her Word articles on
lists. Perhaps I got the wrong idea and she was warning not to do it.

I think I'm guilty of error #2 due to a general misunderstanding on my part.
I thought it WAS possible to break outline lists. On reading and re-reading
Margaret Aldis' 'How to restart style based numbering' article I've worked
out that an outline list is singular for the whole document. Hence, what I
think I should do, to get two different layouts, is create TWO outline lists.
The number-paragraph-styles for each layout will determine the layouts I
require.

I think the word 'template' threw me a bit. I was thinking the actual
instances of the outline lists were taken from the template but in fact the
'template' is the instance, if I now understand it correctly.

If you haven't already skimmed through the following articles, it might
be a good time to start. With emphasis on Margaret Aldis' text on
restart numbering.

Thanks for the references. I was familiar with Shauna Kelly's articles and
I've read and understood most of John McGhie's classic piece.

I've now read most of what you've suggested but I'm saving the Charles
Kenton's list until another time. :-)

Thanks again for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the references. I was familiar with Shauna Kelly's articles and
I've read and understood most of John McGhie's classic piece.

I'm not sure I understand that much! :-)

Good luck!
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

document outline and links JudyDeak Microsoft Word Help 2 August 7th 06 12:28 AM
OUTLINE NUMBERED TOC Cmpn.sb Tables 5 May 25th 06 02:24 PM
Can I copy and paste a document outline? Arym Microsoft Word Help 1 May 16th 06 04:29 PM
How to copy a customized Outline Numbered (in Word) to a diff warmtobe Microsoft Word Help 1 May 11th 06 03:44 PM
Endnote references in a document and in multiple appendices Wallace Microsoft Word Help 1 November 30th 04 02:11 PM