CharWhite

Default Arrange files by date? Word keeps resetting to alphabetical.

I arrange files in Word's "open file dialog box" by descending date (views,
details, click date twice). When I re-open Word, the files are back in
alphabetical order. How can I make it stop messing with my files!

All I can say is that when I sort files by date in Excel, I notice that Word
then has them in date order even though I prefer alphabetical.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a Windows setting. Have you changed it in Windows Explorer or in
another application?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"CharWhite" wrote in message
I arrange files in Word's "open file dialog box" by descending date

(views,
details, click date twice). When I re-open Word, the files are back in
alphabetical order. How can I make it stop messing with my files!

CharWhite

I tried rearranging the files in Excel, and it set the Word files, too, by
date. But when I exited and returned the Word files were back to
alphabetical. Grrrr.

"CharWhite" wrote in message
I arrange files in Word's "open file dialog box" by descending date
(views,
details, click date twice). When I re-open Word, the files are back in
alphabetical order. How can I make it stop messing with my files!

This is something I guess I wouldn't notice so much because (a) I keep Word
open all day, and (b) I *want* the files to be listed alphabetically. I'm
guessing it still comes back to being a Windows setting. In Windows
Explorer, in Tools | Folder Options | View, there is a button to set the
view in all other folders Like Current Folder. This is probably tied, or at
least related, to the Tools | Folder Options | View option to "Remember each
folder's View settings," which seems to work in Explorer but doesn't affect
Word (I use Details or Thumbnails in all Explorer folders, but List in
Word).

It's also possible that Word isn't saving your settings either because the
Word Data key in the Registry is damaged (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm) or because an
add-in is messing with your settings. For example, if you have Acrobat 7
installed, see the last part of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"CharWhite" wrote in message
I arrange files in Word's "open file dialog box" by descending

date
(views,
details, click date twice). When I re-open Word, the files are

back in
alphabetical order. How can I make it stop messing with my files!

CharWhite

It worked! I extrapolated the info to Word 2003, went to
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\11.0 \word\data and deleted the
toolbar. All is well. Thanks!

"CharWhite" wrote in message
I arrange files in Word's "open file dialog box" by descending

date
(views,
details, click date twice). When I re-open Word, the files are

back in
alphabetical order. How can I make it stop messing with my files!

CharWhite

I SPOKE TOO SOON! The files just reverted to alphabetical.
I looked for Acrobat 7, but don't seem to have that version, so that's not
the problem. I've done the "set view" in Explorer.