Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default Problem with Smart Quotes

I use Smart Quotes for all my Word documents and have never seen a problem.
Leading and trailing quote are up "high," i.e., up near the top of the text
rather than having the leading quote dropped down to the foot of the text (I
think of this as the Spanish style but I guess others use it, too) But in
one specific document I created the Smart Quotes seem to be done in the
Spanish style. I wrote mostly in German. I can't figure out how this
happened and how to change this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke

Hi Joe,

Us Germans use low opening quotes, and the closing quotes look like the
English opening quotes.

If your text is formatted as German (manually or through the style), Word
will use those quotes.

If you want to use English quotes on a German text, you could format it as
English temporarily, run AutoFormat (with everything but the "typographic
quotes" option switched off), and change back the language.

Or replace ^0147 with ^0148, then ^132 with ^0147.
(^0147/^0148 are the English double quotes, ^0132/^0147 the German ones.
Single quotes would be much harder to fix because apostrophes are involved)

Greetings,
Klaus

"Joe McGuire" wrote:
I use Smart Quotes for all my Word documents and have never seen a problem.
Leading and trailing quote are up "high," i.e., up near the top of the text
rather than having the leading quote dropped down to the foot of the text
(I think of this as the Spanish style but I guess others use it, too) But
in one specific document I created the Smart Quotes seem to be done in the
Spanish style. I wrote mostly in German. I can't figure out how this
happened and how to change this.

Problem with Normal.dot or formatting??? Jeff Menard Microsoft Word Help 5 March 20th 06 04:41 PM
Borders problem M Page Layout 2 February 8th 06 08:28 AM
straight quotes Liam Microsoft Word Help 0 February 21st 05 09:53 PM
About Smart Tags!!! shobha Microsoft Word Help 0 February 18th 05 02:39 AM
Smart Quotes to straight quotes (apostrophe) Elke Microsoft Word Help 6 January 14th 05 04:59 PM