Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eric matschke

Default paragraph spacing in a STYLE applies within the paragraph

I use styles in my Word docs and sometimes in part of the document (not all
of it) some of the lines within a paragraph apply the "space before" and
"space after" paagraph settings. In other words some of the paragraphs look
double spaced and some of them don't. If I remove the space before and after
the paragraph, then the single spacing looks correct, but then there is no
space between paragraphs.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure the paragraphs are paragraphs? That is, make sure that each
line in the paragraph is not a separate paragraph. To check, display
nonprinting characters (Ctrl+* or click Show/Hide ¶ on the Standard toolbar)
and make sure there is not a paragraph mark (¶) at the end of each line.

"eric matschke" eric wrote in message
I use styles in my Word docs and sometimes in part of the document (not

all
of it) some of the lines within a paragraph apply the "space before" and
"space after" paagraph settings. In other words some of the paragraphs

look
double spaced and some of them don't. If I remove the space before and

after
the paragraph, then the single spacing looks correct, but then there is no
space between paragraphs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

I think the problem may be in your reference to "some of the lines within a
paragraph." It is not clear what exactly you mean. (I hope I am not
reading too much int to this stuff but I am also unclear what you mean by
saying "some of the paragraphs LOOK double spaced and some of them don't."
Is there s difference between "being" double-spaced and "looking" double
spaced? My guess is that you are trying to enter two "paragraph" styles in
the same paragraph. The main variants of Styles are Paragraph (which
applies to an entire paragraph) and "character" (which applies to a group of
characters, such as a few words within a paragraph). In Word everything
between paragraph marks, for practical purposes, is a paragraph. If you try
to enter a paragraph style within a paragraph that already has a paragraph
style, you are setting yourself up for a problem. That could explain why
you seem to be getting unwanted blank lines and how simply trying to delete
them seems to mess up your line spacing. I would suggest you make sure
that you are only using one paragraph style per paragraph.

"eric matschke" eric wrote in message
I use styles in my Word docs and sometimes in part of the document (not all
of it) some of the lines within a paragraph apply the "space before" and
"space after" paagraph settings. In other words some of the paragraphs
look
double spaced and some of them don't. If I remove the space before and
after
the paragraph, then the single spacing looks correct, but then there is no
space between paragraphs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eric matschke

I frequently turn on the non-printing charaters to check my spacing and
pargraph usage. So this is not the case. I am very careful and diligent
about not using paragraphs or carriage returns to create white space in my
documents. This is why I use styles. As I said in my original post, within
the paragraph it only looks double spaced, when in fact it is not. And there
is no double usage of paragraph style settings within the style that I am
using. Also, I may not have made clear, i use the same style throughout the
document with no modifications, but this problem only shows up on some of the
pages. When it does show up, it seems to be only on that page. The pages
before and after do not exhibit this problem. Thanks for your replies

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure the paragraphs are paragraphs? That is, make sure that each
line in the paragraph is not a separate paragraph. To check, display
nonprinting characters (Ctrl+* or click Show/Hide ¶ on the Standard toolbar)
and make sure there is not a paragraph mark (¶) at the end of each line.

"eric matschke" eric wrote in message
I use styles in my Word docs and sometimes in part of the document (not

all
of it) some of the lines within a paragraph apply the "space before" and
"space after" paagraph settings. In other words some of the paragraphs

look
double spaced and some of them don't. If I remove the space before and

after
the paragraph, then the single spacing looks correct, but then there is no
space between paragraphs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eric matschke

Thanks Joe,
Yes, the paragraph only looks double spaced, it is not actually double
spaced. there are no paragraph marks or carriage returns within the
particular paragraph. If I edit the STYLE to remove the "space before" and
"space after", then the problem WITHIN each paragraph goes away, but then
there is also no spacing BETWEEN paragraphs. And as I said, it does not
affect every paragraph that uses this STYLE. I also make sure there is no
Style within a Style paragraph settings and I select the entire paragraph (or
several paragraphs) and apply one style to it. I personally think this is a
bug in MS Word.

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you would like to send me a sample document, I'll take a look and let you
know what I find out.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure the paragraphs are paragraphs? That is, make sure that each
line in the paragraph is not a separate paragraph. To check, display
nonprinting characters (Ctrl+* or click Show/Hide ¶ on the Standard

toolbar)
and make sure there is not a paragraph mark (¶) at the end of each line.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"eric matschke" eric wrote in

message