Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
redhandler redhandler is offline

Default styles based on same numbered list, reset themselves

is it possible in word 2003 to set up 2 sets of styles that each contain
numbering at 3 levels, and follow each-other's level?

1.0 heading style 1
2.0 Text style 1
2.1 text style 2
2.3 heading style 2
2.3.1 text style 3
2.3.1 heading style 3
3.0 heading style 1
3.1 heading style 2
etc.

Due to integration with another application I am unable to generate styles
based on each-other which would have been the easiest solution.
There is the need to Automatically insert the numbering (not using a Field).
For technical reasons each individual style must be based on the same
'base'-style. This base style has NO significant formatting.

I've tried using a user-defined list that contains 3 levels.
'head_txt_numbers", set up to number at three levels
1.0 (level 1, which must have the trailing zero)
1.1 (level 2)
1.1.1 (level 3)

This works fine on just my Headings, but still causes problems with the
second lot of styles.

The only way I can half make it work is if I use an ordered list for the
second lot of styles, however when copy and pasting content from other
documents, this list style seems to reset itself to the standard 1. a) etc.
style very nasty.

Word 2003, XP SP2

I'm not exaggerating if I say I've spent over 30hrs trying to sort this out,
read books, notes, etc. just can't get it working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
redhandler redhandler is offline

Cool will give that a go and let you know how it goes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
redhandler redhandler is offline

bummer, that won't work as I can not base styles on others styles, and also I
can't assign two styles to ONE level