Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul Williams Paul Williams is offline

Default cross reference

I have hundreds of cross references in my document. Every time I update the
TOC, save the file, or convert it to PDF (all actions which update the
references) the cross reference bounces to a new page. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Can you clarify? the point of using Word's cross-references is that it
doesn't matter if things wind up on different pages, since the
cross-references update to match the new page.

So *what* is the thing that is bouncing to a new page, and why is this
creating a problem? Perhaps give a specific example.

Also, please always state version of Word and OS.

Paul Williams wrote:
I have hundreds of cross references in my document. Every time I update the
TOC, save the file, or convert it to PDF (all actions which update the
references) the cross reference bounces to a new page. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If the cross-referenced items are preceded by manual page breaks, this is
probably causing the issue.

The reason is that each cross-reference (REF) field depends on a hidden
bookmark enclosing the cross-referenced item. And adding manual page breaks
at the beginning of a bookmarked item causes the bookmark to expand, so that
it includes the break, which will then be part of the cross-reference.

To fix this issue: Delete any page breaks added at the beginning of the
cross-referenced paragraphs, and use "Page break before" paragraph
formatting instead. Then update the cross-references.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul Williams" wrote in message
I have hundreds of cross references in my document. Every time I update the
TOC, save the file, or convert it to PDF (all actions which update the
references) the cross reference bounces to a new page. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul Williams Paul Williams is offline

Hi, Daiya -

Thanks for responding!

OS - Windows XP SP2
Word SP3: Microsoft Office Professional 2003

Let's assume I have table 1 on page 2. On page 1 I reference table 1 as
follows; "see (crossref to table ) - [label and number].

After creating the crossref it looks fine, with the crossref embedded in the
correct sentence. Then, when I update the document (Select all, F9), the
crossref text 'bounces' either to a new line or to a new page.

I tried applying different formats to the crossref but it still happens.

Thanks for any help you can provide!