Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Himmelswüst Himmelswüst is offline
Junior Member

Default Missing Caption Number

I'm formatting a 30+-page documents that will eventually include about 50 figures, and I'm using Word 2003. I've been able to reset the caption numbers most of the time after deleting figures or changing their position.

However, in one place, the caption numbers are not in sequence, and number 10 is followed by 12 instead of 11. Resetting caption numbers did not work.

I've read numerous other posts related to the topic and tried various suggested remedies, but so far without success. Some of them, such as marking the entire document and pressing F9 I don't want to use because that resets the formating of my table of contents. (If someone knows how this resetting of the formating can be prevented, I'd be happy to know. I don't understand why Word appears to assume that whenever I update the table of contents I would also want to have it all in Times Roman again.)

As I've now spent hours on several days trying to work this out, I'm awaiting your comments like a parched unfortunate in the desert awaiting a soda transfusion.

Last edited by Himmelswüst : May 23rd 12 at 11:34 AM Reason: Supplying more information