Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdgirl920 mdgirl920 is offline

Default Is there any way to show/hide a header/footer?

My company writes contracts. Sometimes, we electronically send the contract
to the client. Sometimes we mail to the client. We are trying to have ONE
document that everyone can use - then do a save as to make it their own. We
are doing this to ensure all contracts leave our office in the same format.
On those contracts that we send via email, we would like to be able to insert
our letterhead into the document when we want simply by "turning on" the
header....? Is this possible? Obviously, those contracts being printed and
mailed would not need the letterheard on the document. We want to be able to
insert the header/footer without compromising the margins, etc. Can anyone
help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Yes, this can be done. There may be many different solutions but below I will
describe a solution I have made that works well:

In an add-in (a Word template) that is distributed to all users, I have made
the following:

I have created AutoTexts with the different letterheads needed (e.g. for
different operating units and for both landscape and portrait page
orientation). Maybe you need only one version.

Then I have created macros for inserting or removing the letterhead
AutoTexts (may also include footer text). The complexity of the macros
required depends on the documents (e.g. do the documents have more sections,
will there be different margins or different page orientation, will there be
a different first page or even/odd pages).

The above mentioned macros have been assigned to a custom toolbar (that also
holds several other custom commands).

The users can then easily insert or remove the letterhead as needed.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg