Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JDGuin

Default Word is changing my column widths

I am using Word 2002 & Excel 2002 for XP Pro.

I have been copying and pasting tables from Excel to Word for a long time.
Today something new happened. When I pasted the table into my Word document,
Word resized at least one of my columns. (It may have resized them all, but
one was dramatically noticeable, approx. three times its previous width.)

It has never done this before. Previously, the columns have always stayed
the same as they were in Excel. Any idea what caused this change, and how to
stop it?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SkRHdWlu?=,

I am using Word 2002 & Excel 2002 for XP Pro.

I have been copying and pasting tables from Excel to Word for a long time.
Today something new happened. When I pasted the table into my Word document,
Word resized at least one of my columns. (It may have resized them all, but
one was dramatically noticeable, approx. three times its previous width.)

It has never done this before. Previously, the columns have always stayed
the same as they were in Excel. Any idea what caused this change, and how to
stop it?

I have no idea what might have changed. The only thing that comes to mind is
that, for some reason, Word may have been pasting in RTF format, before, and
has changed to using HTML by default. If you paste using Edit/Paste Special and
choose RTF does that make any difference?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Digitonomy

Was it working fine previously with those versions of Word & Excel?

I have had similar problems, but it was when I changed from Word 97 to 2002.
Now whenever I paste an Excel table into Word, I have to deselect Table |
Table Properties | Table | Preferred width, then decrease the default cell
margins after hitting the Table Options button, and punch in my preferred
width for each column under the column tab. I repeart the process every time
I paste the same Excel table with new data. Whereas before, I'd fiddle with
the Excel table 2 or 3 times to get it to work in Word, and never have to
deal with it again.