Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Les Garner Les Garner is offline

Default STOP automatically renumbering (continuous) numbered lists on chg

I have a test plan with multiple test cases. Each has multiple sections
(paragraphs) consisting of numbered steps (a numbered style). Each paragraph
restarts the steps with the number "1". When I insert a new section early in
the document, all the numbering resets itself to be continuous from where I
inserted the new item(s). I then have to go in and manually re-select each
set (section) and apply "restart" (format = Bullets and Numbering =
Restart). Moreover, another peculiar trait is that if there is only a single
item (1 numbered step), then it and all the previous items automatically
renumber from the beginning, and I then have to select 'Edit = Undo
automatic renumbering'. My only other way to prevent this from happening is
to create a second item, select them both before stating 'restart", then
deleting the unused item. Is there any way to turn off this 'automatic
renumbering' "FEATURE" once I have already established the numbering?

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peregrine Peregrine is offline

Hi Lee.

Go to FORMAT AUTO FORMAT then click the OPTIONS button. You can customize
pretty much ALL Words' auto decision right there.