davek

Default UPC BAR CODE

I am trying to put the "POSTNET bar code" or "delivery Point Barcode" on the
bottom of the envelope under the address instead of on top of the address. I
see no options for doing this in word 97 or word 2003. The post office
prefers to have this barcode across the bottom of the envelope. Is there a
way to set this as default in word 97/2003 options. I have moved the {
BARCODE ENV_ZIPCODE4\b \u } using ALT-F9 but this would be a pain in the
rear if you had to do this everytime to add the [ "POSTNET bar code" or
"delivery Point Barcode" ] to an envelope. There sure seems like this would
be a definable option you could set and use as a default. Any help would be
appreciated
Dave

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Eric.

Word has only US Postnet code capability built in.

You have two choices: get a font that creates bar codes when applied to the numbers/letters, or use a program or ActiveX control to create the codes. Use Google to search for the terms 'upc code word' (without quotes) -- the first screenful from about 80,000 hits will take you where you need to go.

--
Jay Freedman

"Eric Jeppesen" wrote:

I'm trying to insert UPC bar codes into a word document, and have only found how to insert USPS Zip Codes onto an envelope. Can anyone direct me to a solution?
Thanks.
--
Eric

Charles Kenyon

BTW, when asking a question that is only tangentially related to the
original, it is best to start a new thread rather than apply. Your question
has nothing to do with a UPC bar code.

As far as I know:

1) The post office doesn't have a preference. The ones the post office
prints on envelopes end up between the last line and the edge of the
envelope. Like you, I prefer it there.

2) The only way I know of to get it there is to create your own envelope
template and use that. The bar code is simply a field. I have such a
template, which uses macrobutton fields when used manually. It will work
with a macro I've written for a three line address from my letterhead
template, as well. I haven't matched the proficiency of the envelopes and
labels wizard for spotting addresses.

You can find good sample envelope templates on Graham Mayor's site.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Eric Jeppesen" wrote:

I'm trying to insert UPC bar codes into a word document, and have only
found how to insert USPS Zip Codes onto an envelope. Can anyone direct
me to a solution?
Thanks.
--
Eric

Jay Freedman

Hi Dave,

First, it is NOT true that the post office prefers to have the barcode
at the bottom of the envelope. In Publication 25 at
http://pe.usps.com/search/jsp/search...dtype= 2#hit0
under the heading "Address Block Barcoding", it specifically says that
placing the barcode in the address block -- either above or below the
human-readable address -- "is the most desirable method of choice" (as
redundant as that statement may be). Look at exhibit 4-6 below that
paragraph.

If, despite that, you still want to force the barcode below the
address, then you should create a separate template for your envelopes
and not use Word's Envelope wizard. See
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm for procedures.
Then you can place the BARCODE field wherever you want it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Eric Jeppesen" wrote:

I'm trying to insert UPC bar codes into a word document, and have only found how to insert USPS Zip Codes onto an envelope. Can anyone direct me to a solution?
Thanks.
--
Eric

davek

Thanks Jay and Charles. Thats what I get for trusting the postman at the post
office LOL.. I went in there and asked if the envelope looked kosher (return
address, Address, delivery Point Barcode and a big picture on the left bottom
corner of the envelope) ( because my rent check never made it to my landlord
and I thought something may have been wrong with printed envelope) He
said the only thing he would recommend is to stick the barcode under the
address,, but other than that everything looked fine.. He also said that you
can leave the bar code where it was because it was withing the address
block.. I said thats good because I see no option for putting it at the
bottom... Thanks for the links and I will make a new template thanks again
MPVS
I think someone just collected my envelope cause it looked so good