Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chongchong Chongchong is offline

Default Insert Hyperlink - Place in This Document

In Word, if the style of some texts is Heading n, for example, Heading 1,
Heading 2, Heading 3... then if you click Insert, and then click Hyperlink,
and on the Place in This Document tab, you will see the "bookmarks" of these
headings. I used the quotation mark here, as they are not bookmarks in the
real sense.

Certain characters, e.g. punctuations, or spaces are not allowed in the
bookmarks. But if you change the style to Heading n, almost all characters
are allowed.

Is it possible to manually add these links? I have a document with a lot of
headings, but the styles are not Heading n, and each of these headings start
with numbering, for example, 1.3.2. I want to create a hyperlink for every
heading. I cannot change its style, as there are many styles in the document,
and one is dependent upon the other. If I change the style, the formatting
will look very different, which is not what I want.

I would apppreciate it if someone can give some suggestions or direct me to
other sources that can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Which version of Word?

Assuming your Headings are autonumbered, you should be able to access
these hyperlinks with the Insert Cross Reference tool. (The first line
in the drop-down is "numbered items," which includes both "Heading n"
paragraphs and all other paragraphs with autonumbering.)

On Jan 19, 4:31*am, Chongchong
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chongchong Chongchong is offline

Hi Peter. Thank you.

I'm using Word 2003.

Yes, I can find these numbered items in the drop-down. However, in the body
of the document, there are a lot of numbered steps. So there are too many
items to choose from. I am wondering whether it is possible to only display
the numbered headings.

wrote:
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The third or so item in the Insert Cross Reference panel dropdown is
"Numbered Headings," and it really does list only the paragraphs
formatted with "Heading n" styles.

(Unless that was added in Word2007?? They did make one improvement --
the Cross References don't flip back to the top of the list every time
you leave and return to the panel.)

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chongchong Chongchong is offline

Hi Peter,

Thanks.

Is it possible to upload an attachment? That would explain the issue better,
but I don't see any options for it.

Well, in my document, we do not use the Heading n styles. Instead, we use
Style1, Style2, Style3, etc. I was wondering whether it is possible to
display only those Style(n) styles in bookmarks, cross-references, etc.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

(You can't upload a document, but you could place it on a website and
link to it.)

Is there a reason not to use the built-in styles for headings? That
would solve your problem.

You can alter everything about the built-in styles (font, margins,
indents, spacing, etc.) to match your "style1" etc., and change all
the paragraphs from one to the other with Find/Replace More Format
Styles.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chongchong Chongchong is offline

Hi Peter,

Thanks. The reasons for not using the built-in styles are very complicated.
I will make a short video to show what the problems are and what I want to
achieve.

Before I upload the video, I have a question. If I apply "Heading 1" style
to a paragraph in my document, and send it to a colleague who has modified
"Heading 1" style in his Word. Will the look and feel still be the same? What
will happen if this document goes through several rounds of review and
updates?

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your styles in your document will not be affected by settings on anyone
else's computer unless (a) the document is based on Normal.dot, and (b) the
recipient has "Automatically update document styles" enabled for that
template. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chongchong Chongchong is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you very much. The information is very helpful.

But still, there are some issues if we use the built-in styles in our
document.

I will record a video and upload it somewhere this weekend.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
richa richa is offline

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> The third or so item in the Insert Cross Reference panel dropdown is
> "Numbered Headings," and it really does list only the
paragraphs
> formatted with "Heading n" styles.

> (Unless that was added in Word2007?? They did make one improvement --
> the Cross References don't flip back to the top of the list every time
> you leave and return to the panel.)

> On Jan 21, 10:35 pm, Chongchong

> wrote:
> > Hi Peter. Thank you.

> > I'm using Word 2003.

> > Yes, I can find these  numbered items in the drop-down.
However, in the body
> > of the document, there are a lot of numbered steps. So there are

too
many
> > items to choose from. I am wondering whether it is possible to

only
display
> > the numbered headings.

> > "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
> > > Which version of Word?

> > > Assuming your Headings are autonumbered, you should be able

access
> > > these hyperlinks with the Insert Cross Reference tool. (The
first line
> > > in the drop-down is "numbered items," which

includes
both "Heading n"
> > > paragraphs and all other paragraphs with autonumbering.)

then
click Hyperlink,

not
bookmarks in the

suggestions or direct me to

Hi ,
I have a similar problem where I am using the Heading n and style n as
variations of Heading n .
I would want both of them to be available as "Places in the
Document"
so that I can add hyperlinks to these.

For the Table of contents , I was able to add these Styles to be used.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You'd have to manually bookmark the relevant text paragraphs; at "Place in This
Document," you'd then see those paragraphs in the "Bookmarks" category.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news