Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HAT[_2_] HAT[_2_] is offline

Default Footnote Separator Problem

On a few pages of my dissertation, a Word 2007 .doc, the footnote
separator prints as a thick line, instead of the thin line that prints
on all the other pages. I've tried resetting, and applying a different
style, with no effect. It's always the same pages. They don't have any
obvious (to me) common features I'm at a complete loss, and hope
someone can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is definitely the footnote separator and not, say, the footnote
continuation separator? I can understand that it might be different. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm, for whatever good it
may do.

http://word.mvps.org

"HAT" wrote in message
On a few pages of my dissertation, a Word 2007 .doc, the footnote
separator prints as a thick line, instead of the thin line that prints
on all the other pages. I've tried resetting, and applying a different
style, with no effect. It's always the same pages. They don't have any
obvious (to me) common features I'm at a complete loss, and hope
someone can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HAT[_2_] HAT[_2_] is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"HAT" wrote in message

On a few pages of my dissertation, a Word 2007 .doc, the footnote
separator prints as a thick line, instead of the thin line that prints
on all the other pages. I've tried resetting, and applying a different
style, with no effect. It's always the same pages. They don't have any
obvious (to me) common features *I'm at a complete loss, and hope
someone can help.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it is definitely the footnote separator, not the continuation. It
is as if it's printing underlined or bold, for no apparent reason.
Also, I have made a mistake about the version of word, it is in fact
Word 2002 (well and truly out of warranty).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want to email me the document (or a portion of it exhibiting the
problem), I'll take a look. Be sure to include a description of the problem
and a note of which pages it occurs on.

http://word.mvps.org

"HAT" wrote in message

On a few pages of my dissertation, a Word 2007 .doc, the footnote
separator prints as a thick line, instead of the thin line that prints
on all the other pages. I've tried resetting, and applying a different
style, with no effect. It's always the same pages. They don't have any
obvious (to me) common features I'm at a complete loss, and hope
someone can help.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it is definitely the footnote separator, not the continuation. It
is as if it's printing underlined or bold, for no apparent reason.
Also, I have made a mistake about the version of word, it is in fact
Word 2002 (well and truly out of warranty).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I looked at Heather's document, and it appeared to me that the Footnote
Continuation Separator was the problem. I did not see a thicker or heavier
line, but I did see extra space below the separator, as an extra, empty
paragraph had been (no doubt inadvertently) added below the Footnote
Continuation Separator. Since the FCS had been edited to be the same as the
Footnote Separator, it was not immediately obvious that the problem was with
only one kind of separator.

Although the font of the document had been changed to Courier New 10, the
Normal style had not been modified; it was still Times New Roman 12, so the
extra, empty paragraph was TNR 12; this may have influenced the display or
printing of the separator. It also appears that a blank Footnote
Continuation Notice is appearing on pages from which footnotes are
continued. In my experience, if a FCN has ever been created, it is
impossible to remove it, but it could be formatted as 1 point (instead of
the default TNR 12) to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

http://word.mvps.org