Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adjusting TOCto reflect page numbering

Default Want TOC display headers of front matter section unumbered

In my document I have two sections. The first for the front matters and the
second for the main document.

I have used Heading 1, 2 and 3 to construct the TOC. The TOC now shows all
its entries numbered, but I want TOC to show the titles on the front matter
section unnmbered while TOC entries of the main section be numbered.

Could you help me?
Many Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

One way to do it is to select the table of contents and use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
convert it to ordinary text and then edit it as required. Of course, the
hyperlink feature of the table of contents will then no longer work, but if
it is for printing purposes, that should not matter. You should also of
course save copy of the documnet with the table of contents intact in case
of the need for future editing.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Adjusting TOCto reflect page numbering"
crosoft.com wrote in
message ...
In my document I have two sections. The first for the front matters and
the
second for the main document.

I have used Heading 1, 2 and 3 to construct the TOC. The TOC now shows all
its entries numbered, but I want TOC to show the titles on the front
matter
section unnmbered while TOC entries of the main section be numbered.

Could you help me?
Many Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adjusting TOCto reflect page numbering

Thanks you for the info.

I really meant whether it is possible to create a new TOC- style that will
reflect the headers of the front matter section unnumbered in the TOC? The
TOC entries of the other main document headings should stay numbered.

See also figure 15 at :
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...tm#ModifyStyle

If yes, what is the procedure?

Many Thanks

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use a different style for the headings in the front matter and assign that
style to a different TOC level (as explained in other sections of the
article you looked at), omitting the numbering for that level. You can
modify the TOC style for that level to look the same as the style for a
different level.

So, for example, if you are including Headings 1, 2, and 3 in your TOC, and
you have front matter headings that are currently Heading 1, create a new
style that looks like Heading 1 (but is not based on it) and assign it
outline level 4. Use the \n 4-4 switch in the TOC to omit page numbers for
Level 4 and format the TOC 4 style to be the same as TOC 1.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a different style for the headings in the front matter and assign

that
style to a different TOC level (as explained in other sections of the
article you looked at), omitting the numbering for that level. You can
modify the TOC style for that level to look the same as the style for a
different level.

So, for example, if you are including Headings 1, 2, and 3 in your TOC,

and
you have front matter headings that are currently Heading 1, create a

new
style that looks like Heading 1 (but is not based on it) and assign it
outline level 4. Use the \n 4-4 switch in the TOC to omit page numbers

for
Level 4 and format the TOC 4 style to be the same as TOC 1.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

One way to do it is to select the table of contents and use

Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
convert it to ordinary text and then edit it as required. Of

course,
the
hyperlink feature of the table of contents will then no longer work,

but
if
it is for printing purposes, that should not matter. You should

also of
course save copy of the documnet with the table of contents intact

in
case
of the need for future editing.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Adjusting TOCto reflect page numbering"
crosoft.com wrote

in
message ...