Dionisio

Default Spell check and Thesaurus on toolbar

I am a writer and a long-time user of Corel 8 WordPerfect and have switched
to Word 2003. I had a spellchecker on my tool bar in which words appeared as
I typed them and showed the correct spelling, when necessary, on the tool
bar. A drop down on the same tool bar gave thesaurus equivalents for almost
any word. How do I get that convenient writing tool on my Word toolbar?
Thanks,
Dionisio
CyberTaz

Hello-

AFAIK, there is no exact match to those features.

The equivalent is the automatic spellchecking feature that underlines
suspect words in red. Right-clicking the underlined word will produce a list
of suggested replacements as well as other options. You can also right-click
any word any time to choose Synonyms or Thesaurus from the shortcut menu.

It may take a a little while to make the adjustment to the different
implementation, but the same capabilities are there.

Hope this is usefull |:)

"Dionisio" wrote:

I am a writer and a long-time user of Corel 8 WordPerfect and have switched
to Word 2003. I had a spellchecker on my tool bar in which words appeared as
I typed them and showed the correct spelling, when necessary, on the tool
bar. A drop down on the same tool bar gave thesaurus equivalents for almost
any word. How do I get that convenient writing tool on my Word toolbar?
Thanks,
Dionisio

Jay Freedman

Dionisio wrote:
I am a writer and a long-time user of Corel 8 WordPerfect and have
switched to Word 2003. I had a spellchecker on my tool bar in which
words appeared as I typed them and showed the correct spelling, when
necessary, on the tool bar. A drop down on the same tool bar gave
thesaurus equivalents for almost any word. How do I get that
convenient writing tool on my Word toolbar? Thanks,
Dionisio

Hi Dionisio,

In Tools Options Spelling & Grammar, check the box for "Check spelling
as you type". Any words that aren't found in Word's dictionary will show a
wavy red underline. Right-click one of those words, and select a correction
from the popup menu.

If it's something that you commonly mistype, you can click AutoCorrect on
the same popup menu and select the correction; from then on, Word will
silently replace the error. If the word is correct as typed but not in the
dictionary (for example, proper names), select Add to Dictionary, and from
then on it will be recognized.

These actions are in addition to the full document spell-check invoked by F7
or the Tools Spelling & Grammar menu item.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/EditCustomDic.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm for some related
information.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Dionisio

Thanks CyberTaz and Jay,
I guess I'll have to adapt, but I hope in future upgrades, Word might
incorporate the Corel feature.
Dionisio