Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nickyxx5 Nickyxx5 is offline

Default Where has my normal.dot gone?!

I want to change my default margins in Word.

I know that to do this I need to change the normal.dot template - but I
can't find it anywhere! There is no file by this name in the location that
Word Help says it should be. I have searched my entire computer for a file
of this name - the search function cannot find one. I have also searched my
entire computer for all .dot files - I still can't find one called 'normal'.

Clearly there must be some template file somewhere that Word is using to
base my documents on, but I do not know what it is called or where it is.
The folder in which Word Help says the normal template should be saved is
completely empty.

As an alternative way of changing my margins, I opened up a new blank
document, made the page margin changes I wanted and clicked on the "Default"
option in the dialogue box. It said it had saved my changes, but next time I
opened up a new document in Word, the margins were the same as ever and my
changes had not been registered.

So where has my normal.dot gone?
What template is Word using as its default? What is it called (since it's
not normal.dot) and where should I look for it (since it's not saved where
normal.dot should be found).

I am using Word 2003 from Office Professional Edition 2003. This is the
first time that I have tried to change anything in the normal template, so I
don't know if it used to be there and has disappeared or got corrupted, or if
there has been something funny going on ever since I installed it.

Thanks for any help!

Nicky

--
Nickyxx5