elillis

Default How can I get a table caption to show up in the 'List of Tables'

I am using a Section header (like in header/footer) as a table header
because I have a table linked to a query in an Access database, but I can
not use the header that comes with it. This part works great!

What I need to know is - How can I get a table caption to show up in the
'List of Tables'.

Ed

Shauna Kelly

Hi Ed

To create a caption that will appear in a List of Tables, do Insert
Reference Caption. In the Label box, choose Table. In the Caption box,
type your caption text and click OK.

As long as the caption is plain text and not in a text box, it will appear
in a List of Figures.

If this doesn't help, write back and let us know what version of Word you're
using. Tell us exactly what you're doing, what you want to happen, and what
you see happening.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"elillis" wrote in message
I am using a Section header (like in header/footer) as a table header
because I have a table linked to a query in an Access database, but I can
not use the header that comes with it. This part works great!

What I need to know is - How can I get a table caption to show up in the
'List of Tables'.

Ed

elillis

The 'table header' appears in the 'document header', not in the main
document where the table is. I finally used a TC field code, but it is not
elegant. Anyother ideas?

ed

"elillis" wrote in message
I am using a Section header (like in header/footer) as a table header
because I have a table linked to a query in an Access database, but I can
not use the header that comes with it. This part works great!

What I need to know is - How can I get a table caption to show up in the
'List of Tables'.

Ed

elillis

I put the TC field code in front of the actual table (the table is in the
main body of the document), the table header in a text box, and the text box
in the document (section) header. It works but is not very elegant. I was
looking for another way.

ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
A TOC can't pick up anything in a page header because it by definition
doesn't have a single page number.

so
all may benefit.

"elillis" wrote in message
I am using a Section header (like in header/footer) as a table header
because I have a table linked to a query in an Access database, but I

can
not use the header that comes with it. This part works great!

What I need to know is - How can I get a table caption to show up in

the
'List of Tables'.

Ed

My point was that you have no alternative to a TC field in this instance.

"elillis" wrote in message
I put the TC field code in front of the actual table (the table is in the
main body of the document), the table header in a text box, and the text

box
in the document (section) header. It works but is not very elegant. I was
looking for another way.

ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
A TOC can't pick up anything in a page header because it by definition
doesn't have a single page number.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.