Bob Stringer

Default Extra New Document Problem

I posted this question about two weeks ago and didn't get
any responses. Apologies for re-posting, but I'm hoping
someone knows the answer and simply missed my first post.

I have Word2000 (with all updates) on WinXP SP2.

For the last several weeks , when Word is not already open
and I double click on a Word file to open it, Word launches,
with *two* files open -- the one that I double clicked on is
in the back, and a new blank file is in the front (i.e.,
active).

I couldn't find anything in the Help file on this, and
nothing in Tools | Options | General tab looked relevant.

I'd appreciate advice on how to have only the file I double
clicked on open when Word launches.

Thanks.
--

Bob
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:53:09 -0700, Bob Stringer
wrote:

I posted this question about two weeks ago and didn't get
any responses. Apologies for re-posting, but I'm hoping
someone knows the answer and simply missed my first post.

I have Word2000 (with all updates) on WinXP SP2.

For the last several weeks , when Word is not already open
and I double click on a Word file to open it, Word launches,
with *two* files open -- the one that I double clicked on is
in the back, and a new blank file is in the front (i.e.,
active).

I couldn't find anything in the Help file on this, and
nothing in Tools | Options | General tab looked relevant.

I'd appreciate advice on how to have only the file I double
clicked on open when Word launches.

Thanks.

Hi Bob,

When you double-click a document icon in Explorer, it uses a "DDE
conversation" to open the file. The parameters that Explorer passes to
Word (which you can see in Explorer by going into Tools Folder
Options File Types select DOC Advanced select Open Edit)
sometimes get corrupted. I think this is what may have happened to
you.

To restore the original values, go to Start Run and enter the line

winword /r

Click OK and wait for it to finish. Then try double-clicking a
document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Bob Stringer

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:35:41 -0400, Jay Freedman
wrote:

To restore the original values, go to Start Run and enter the line

winword /r

Click OK and wait for it to finish. Then try double-clicking a
document.

That did it. All fixed.

Thanks very much, Jay.

--

Bob
Jay Freedman

wrote:

To restore the original values, go to Start Run and enter the line

winword /r

Click OK and wait for it to finish. Then try double-clicking a
document.

That did it. All fixed.

Thanks very much, Jay.

Great! Good to know that's what it was. You're welcome!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman