Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Spencer, Quids Technology

Default Word 2003 locks up opening older word document

My clients are sending me documents that I can open in Word 2000 (on another
client's Citrix server) but when I attempt to open them in Word 2003 (or in
Word 2003 Viewer) on the machines in our office (or on my machine at home)
Word locks up. I am able to open other documents that our client sends us
without any problems. I have applied all the updates (using Microsoft Update
site and checked by using the Office Update site). The Office KB article that
seems to relate to this has a fix that I have downloaded but it won't apply
(as it says it has already been applied by the service packs).

Any ideas on what to try? I'm cautious about sending out the file as it has
proprietary information in it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Spencer, Quids Technology

More info...

The file has been updated by the client several times, so it is a working
document as far as they are concerned. We've had them resend the file several
times, zip it prior to sending, save it as an rtf file rather than as a doc
file but it still fails. I don't believe there is any corruption in the file
since we can open it in Word 2000.

Hope this helps,

Rob