Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Martine

Default check box and drop down list disappear

Hi,

Someone from my work created a word document using forms attributes, such as
check box and drop down list.

We seem to have 2 problems with this documents. At first, when I tried to
use it, and clicked on a check box or selected an item in the list, it
actually disappeared. All the check box or drop down list disappear if used.

I made some test to see if I could find the reason and here are some things
I came up with but did not solve the problem.

The document is locked so we can use the forms options, but there is no
password on the lock.

On this document, there is actually the option for Follow-up revision (suivi
des modifications in French, sorry for the translation) activated. I tried to
un-activate this option and save the document. But, every time I open the
document and try to use it, the revision is still on and the check box and
list disappear if I try to use them.

Did any of you encountered such a problem or have any idea what to do with
it?????

We have Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks a lot!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Well, it sounds like the document was protected for tracking changes
(follow-up revision?) instead of for Forms.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Martine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Martine

Hi,

Thank you for the tip. I was hopefull but it did not work.

It was, really, protected for modifications. So here is what I did :

I opened the document and unprotected it.
I disabled the Modification follow-up in the Options Menu
I went by the Options menu to see the dialog box of Document's protection
and selected the option Form.
I saved the document and tried it : it seems to work fine.

BUT! I close and open it again and it does the same thing. The check boxes
and lists disappear and now I even see the information bubbles of
modification follow-up appearing on the right side margin.

It seems Like the follow-up modifications option is always turned on "by
default" or something; it always comes back in this document.

I checked if there was any Macro, and I can't see any.

The document is actually a .doc and I even tried to save it as a template
..dot, and it did not change a thing.

I don't think of more details I can provide.

Any more ideas????

Thanks again!

"Martine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You need to accept all changes in the document and turn off the tracking of
changes. Then protect for forms and save it as protected for forms. What we
are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this in help.
For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Martine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Martine

That is exaxtly what I did. And when I save, close and re-open the document,
the option for tracking changes has activated itself automatically. And the
check boxes and drop down lists keep disappearing when we try to use them.