Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lizbet214

Default Can Edit and Start Hot Keys on the Keyboard Be Reprogrammed?

I do a lot of word processing and have small hands with short fingers. I
also have arthritis and carpal tunnel. Still, I must keep my CPH rating up.
I have made many macros, but the function keys are far away and force me to
take my hands off the keyboard. Then I misplace my fingers and type the
wrong characters. Same type of thing when I use macros assigned to a key
combination using alt or control keys. It is a contortion act, usually. Can
I remap the three keys on my keyboard that are on the same row as the space
bar? Two of these keys (left and right side) bring up the start menu in when
I am in Word. The other key brings up the edit menu. This key is on the
right side near the space bar.

Any help with this remapping or any other suggestions? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Lizbet:

If you buy any of the Microsoft keyboards, they come with a CD of
IntelliType that enables you to perform a lot of keyboard re-mapping.

Otherwise, download a copy of "Keyboard Remap Utility" from

It's a piece of shareware made originally by the Windows developers for
Windows 95. Most of the package will not work with other versions of
Windows, but the Keyboard Remap utility will.

Cheers

On 9/2/06 4:28 PM, in article
, "Lizbet214"
wrote:

I do a lot of word processing and have small hands with short fingers. I
also have arthritis and carpal tunnel. Still, I must keep my CPH rating up.
I have made many macros, but the function keys are far away and force me to
take my hands off the keyboard. Then I misplace my fingers and type the
wrong characters. Same type of thing when I use macros assigned to a key
combination using alt or control keys. It is a contortion act, usually. Can
I remap the three keys on my keyboard that are on the same row as the space
bar? Two of these keys (left and right side) bring up the start menu in when
I am in Word. The other key brings up the edit menu. This key is on the
right side near the space bar.

Any help with this remapping or any other suggestions? Thank you.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

International Keyboard mike New Users 2 January 23rd 06 12:41 AM
start word at last edit tbh Microsoft Word Help 7 December 17th 05 02:27 AM