About to cry because of Word....

Default Word should warn you when saving to temp files

I opened a doc from an email and, although I normally choose "Save As",
apparently I didn't this time. I made many changes and clicked the Save icon
many times along the way. When I was finished and I closed the doc, it was
gone...no amount of searching helped...I lost EVERYTHING with NO warning from
Word. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE problem with this product...I
now have to recreate countless hours of changes. I'm seriously considering
switching to Corel's WordPerfect because of this.

Is this problem EVER going to be fixed? Or at lease WARN you before you
lose hours of work?

I hate Microsoft's office suite because of issues like this...

Doug Robbins

Have you tried opening the document from the email message again?

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"About to cry because of Word...." About to cry because of
wrote in message
I opened a doc from an email and, although I normally choose "Save As",
apparently I didn't this time. I made many changes and clicked the Save
icon
many times along the way. When I was finished and I closed the doc, it
was
gone...no amount of searching helped...I lost EVERYTHING with NO warning
from
Word. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE problem with this
product...I
now have to recreate countless hours of changes. I'm seriously
considering
switching to Corel's WordPerfect because of this.

Is this problem EVER going to be fixed? Or at lease WARN you before you
lose hours of work?

I hate Microsoft's office suite because of issues like this...

Chuck Davis

You hate MS Office because you don't use it correctly? You must remember a
couple of words in the document that you can use to search for. Search for
"*.doc" (without the quotes) containing a couple of words. If you saved it,
it's there. Also, it's still in your incoming e-mail, if you can't locate it
elsewhere. For an easy way to find out the folder that it was saved to open
the e-mail message and begin to save the attachment again, note the folder
and don't save it.
wrote in message
I opened a doc from an email and, although I normally choose "Save As",
apparently I didn't this time. I made many changes and clicked the Save
icon
many times along the way. When I was finished and I closed the doc, it
was
gone...no amount of searching helped...I lost EVERYTHING with NO warning
from
Word. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE problem with this
product...I
now have to recreate countless hours of changes. I'm seriously
considering
switching to Corel's WordPerfect because of this.

Is this problem EVER going to be fixed? Or at lease WARN you before you
lose hours of work?

I hate Microsoft's office suite because of issues like this...

Charles Kenyon

Best practice, IMHO, is to save the attached document from your email and
then open it in Word.

The temporary document probably is saved, just not where you expect it to be
saved. You need to use Windows to search for your document by the date
modified. It should be able to find it.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
I opened a doc from an email and, although I normally choose "Save As",
apparently I didn't this time. I made many changes and clicked the Save
icon
many times along the way. When I was finished and I closed the doc, it
was
gone...no amount of searching helped...I lost EVERYTHING with NO warning
from
Word. As far as I'm concerned, this is a HUGE problem with this
product...I
now have to recreate countless hours of changes. I'm seriously
considering
switching to Corel's WordPerfect because of this.

Is this problem EVER going to be fixed? Or at lease WARN you before you
lose hours of work?

I hate Microsoft's office suite because of issues like this...

Susan C.

The exact same thing happened to me, and to two IT people I know, as well.
You're going along dutifully saving, then when you go to upload it, it ain't
there. Here's a sampling of what I tried:

Search from the Start Menu, including hidden files & folders, C & E drives;
Searching My documents, My recent documents from Windows;
Using the last modified documents in the File Menu in Word;

Trying to get to the temporary folder using Explorer: Reopened the
attachment, pretended to Save As..., copied down the path to the file, tried
to get there using explorer/my computer. Hidden files are showing, of
course. I can get most of the way there but the last folder or last two
folders don't appear.

C:\Documents & Settings\S7S\Local Settings\Temp Internet Files\Content
IE5\8TY38X6R\filename.doc

Temp Internet Files only has cookies & icons, no folders. If I try the
Administrator folder, I can at least get to Content IE5, but no further.

I think Suzanne is right; the temporary file is deleted when you close. And
it's not in the recycle bin either!!!

And it's not in my email mailbox or on my ISP's server.

(I do miss the days of WordPerfect and other non-Microsoft options...)
Susan C.

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

You hate MS Office because you don't use it correctly?

Chuck, I think the fault here is with Microsoft. If it's so easy to lose
hours of work, then "Open" should not be an option for attachments.
Especially since SO many people have already made the same mistake & reported
it. And we're not novices, either. I had already tried all the
possibilities that every tech support /IT/MVP has suggested to get it back on
my own.

I'd be embarrassed by such a problem in any software I'd developed. If I
could.

cheers,