Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JimAA JimAA is offline

Default Reading view wiped out mail merge??

I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an e-mail
attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to open it in Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that when I open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are replaced with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail merge
document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that are affected. I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you used to seeing "Mailmerge fields" like this:

myfield

and are you now seeing them like this

{ MERGEFIELD myfield }

?

If so, this is just a "view" problem which you can fix (at least to an
extent) by clciking Alt-F9 in Word to toggle field code view, and/or using
Tools-Options-View to change the view settings.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"JimAA" wrote in message
I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an e-mail
attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to open it in
Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that when I
open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are replaced
with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail merge
document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that are affected.
I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JimAA JimAA is offline

Thanks for the reply, Alt-F9 allowed me to see the merge data but I still
can't see the drawing/picture objects that were also a part of the document
(i.e., company logo, borders). Any ideas?

"JimAA" wrote in message
I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an e-mail
attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to open it in
Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that when I
open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are replaced
with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail merge
document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that are affected.
I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JimAA JimAA is offline

Follow up clarification: I normally work with the documents in Print Layout
View. In Print Layout View I cannot see the borders, company logo, embedded
Excel objects, etc. In Print Preview and Reading Layout I can see them but
can't edit or move those objects. Another oddity - I use headers and footers
and the footer remained the same but the header became the entire document
(minus the footer). The margins are correct in Page Layout. Any suggestions?

"JimAA" wrote in message
I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an e-mail
attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to open it in
Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that when I
open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are replaced
with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail merge
document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that are affected.
I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools options view
Uncheck 'Picture Placeholders
Check 'Drawing Objects'

"JimAA" wrote in message
I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an
e-mail attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to
open it in Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that
when I open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are
replaced with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail
merge document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that
are affected. I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you haven't gone to Tools-Options-View, go there and see if e.g.
Drawings is checked or not and anything else you might need, such as text
boundaries.

and the footer remained the same but the header became the entire document
(minus the footer)

Do you mean that the stuff that was previously confined to the header area
has now spread vertically right down to the footer? Or are you talking about
a lack of visible boundaries?
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"JimAA" wrote in message
I received an Word document (it had "Word fields" in it) as an e-mail
attachment. When I opened it I was asked if I wanted to open it in
Reading
View. I said yes. After I exited that document I noticed that when I
open
any of my Word mail merge documents, the mail merge fields are replaced
with
"Word fields". Can I correct this without recreating each mail merge
document? I have several hundred mail merge documents that are
affected.
I'm
using Word 2003 on Windows Vista.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JimAA JimAA is offline

That is how the options were set. However, I did notice that my drawing
toolbar (which I normally keep open) was gone. I went to
Tools...Customize...Toolbars and checked Drawing, closed my document and when
I reopened it everything was back to the way it originally was. Problem
solved. Thanks for the suggestions.