Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rgb rgb is offline

Default don't "exit" when "close" last document

when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set Word to not
close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Word doesn't normally do this anyway.

"rgb" wrote in message
when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set Word to
not
close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Stop using the white on red X in the top right corner of the windows and use
the smaller black X beneath it instead.

rgb wrote:
when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set
Word to not close the program, though I have closed all documents?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What version of Word are you using? If Word 2007 then all you can do
is right-click the Close command under the Microsoft Office Button and
add it to your QAT and use it instead of the X to close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"rgb" wrote in message
when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set
Word to not
close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Echo S Echo S is offline

"rgb" wrote in message
when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set Word to
not
close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.

If you're talking Word 2007, go to Office (round button) | Word Options |
Advanced, and uncheck "show all windows in taskbar." (It's under the Display
section.)

You may find that you dislike not being able to select documents from the
taskbar and having to use the View ribbon instead, though.

Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/
PPTLive! Sept 17-20, 2006 http://www.pptlive.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gmck gmck is offline

"rgb" wrote:

when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set Word to not
close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.

This response:
If you're talking Word 2007, go to Office (round button) | Word Options |
Advanced, and uncheck "show all windows in taskbar." (It's under the Display
section.)

You may find that you dislike not being able to select documents from the
taskbar and having to use the View ribbon instead, though.

was very helpful. I ws able to address the View ribbon issue by adding the
"Switch Windows" button to the Quick Access Toolbar.